• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M38A1

Deadguyllc

It's been awhile since I posted here. I bought a 1952 M38A1 from Hanson Mechanical Collection for $10,000 back in May. I was assured, with a slew of pictures and internet promises, that it was "like it just rolled off the showroom floor". I have since had to replace all the gauges, all the steering linkage, including the horn switch, steering wheel, horn rod, and steering box, the tires and the rims, all the suspension, the transmission, the coil and the plugs, the wipers, and the list just goes on. The frame is so shot, I am now having to swap it out with one from a junkyard in California, and the supposedly brand new engine just took a dump. I sold my FJ for $23,000, and have now spent all that on the Jeep, and I haven't even gotten the engine back from the rebuilder yet. All I can say, is never buy a vehicle you don't check out in person first!

JAYHAWK 1962

Dude that sucks! Its to bad businesses operate that way. Thanks for the heads up as it may prevent someone else from going through the same thing you did,

196thprober

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I truly do feel your pain. I had something very similar happen to me with my first Deuce a few years ago, before I met, became friends with, and learned a whole bunch about deuces and received help from from some great people in the club I belong to , the MIMVPA. I was slicked by the ultimate con man-got all the same types of promises, and I was too stupid to know better. It was thousands of $ before things were made right. Sickening, and i still can't beleive an old fart like me got taken so bad, but it's just another expensive life experience now.

I know it doesn't help any now but Good Luck in the future! :beer:

Deadguyllc

These are some of the internet photos he conned me with. You'll notice, they are at a very low resolution. I'll post pictures of the finished Jeep when I have it.

Attachments

Deadguyllc

I posted this on another forum thread, but figured I'd post it here too!
Due to a very unscrupulous seller, I bought a "cosmetically sound" jeep that needed almost everything replaced on it. even the frame was rusting away, and I had to buy a new one from a scrapyard in California. That said, I'm finally almost done, and will post pics when I can. The frame arrived a few days ago, was particle blasted, epoxy primered and powder coated, and looks amazing. I'm still waiting to get the engine back to swap it in. It was supposedly rebuilt "like new", but threw a bearing or something in the lower block, and had to be pulled.
At this point, almost everything in the M38A1 will be rebuilt or new. Novak rebuilt a T90 and transfercase for me, and installed an overdrive. The steering wheel, arm, and gear box are Midwest Military replacements. New tie rod ends, shocks, leaf springs, pitman arm, horn rod, horn switch, axle bumper stoppers, wheel bearings, kingping bearings, rims, tires, and wheels all courtesy of Kasier-Willies. New gauges and senders courtesy of Midwest Military. In cab heater from Midwest Military, full winter enclosure from Beachwood Canvas, and the 1954 military issue turn signal upgrade I bought, still in the packaging, off ebay. I upgraded the front BO marker lights to amber lenses, put gamma goat lenses on the rear tailights, and changed out the passenger side tailight for a driver's side on. I installed wipers (and am considering changing out the old motores) for the vacuum wipers, and bought a fabricated rearview mirror, and an extra sideview mirror for the passenger side, off D.L. Bensinger. I bought a deep water fording kit from Midwest Military as well, a repro exhaust manifold off ebay, and the engine, should get rebuilt and be back hopefully sometime this month. I might finally have a running vehicle!

Deadguyllc

Well, months and months later, and I still don't have a running vehicle. It now has a new frame, all new suspension, all new bearings and joints, new tires, new gauges, and I could go on as the dollars pile up. Nothing worked, with the exception that the vehicle fired up, and the lights would turn on. The last straw, was that Bill Max sold it through The Hanson Mechanical Collection. After I started having endless problems with it, and Eric Hanson would call me at work, erratically screaming how he hates me, Bill finally stepped in and asked me what he needed to re-compensate me to fix the situation. This was before the engine threw a bearing, and I had discovered how rotted the frame was. I told him $1,200, far less than even I had spent at that point. He said fine, no problem. Then he strung me along for months, and finally claims he's not getting his pension, all the money I gave him is spent, and he has no money to give me. I can't even sue him directly, he sold it through Eric Hanson, so by law I have to go after him. According to Bill, he is a school teacher with a restoration shop as a hobby, and is "poorer than a church mouse". I've been in talks with a lawyer, but it will cost me to sue, and I might spend more money than I ever make back. Then again, I'm so ticked off at being swindled, I might do it anyways.

SMOKEWAGON66

...After I started having endless problems with it, and Eric Hanson would call me at work, erratically screaming how he hates me...

...who ever the real swindler is, Id still sue this jacka$$ just because if this. Hopefully your baby is pristine when you do finally get her..You have more patience then I because I would have paid a visit to these DB's.

196thprober

...who ever the real swindler is, Id still sue this jacka$$ just because if this. Hopefully your baby is pristine when you do finally get her..You have more patience then I because I would have paid a visit to these DB's.

If you can swing it finacially, I agree with smokewagon66; although we will never root them all out and they will always be replaced by new worthless rip-off artists/swindlers/scumbags; anything you can do to make them get another headache would be helpful.

I'm just suggesting if you can afford acouple hundred $ get a lawyer to file some papers in YOUR jurisdiction, and if the transaction was across state lines it opens up a whole new set of criminal consequesces for fraud, conspiracy, etc. I'm not a lawyer but don't think I'm talking out of my A$$. Perhaps someone with some REAL legal knowledge can chime in?

GOOD LUCK if you decide to do something, you know we are all behind you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks