• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M543A2

mbal

well, i got most of it done besides some little things that i have to do one the weekends. I ended up nameing it after my grandpa leonard Ballor or as he said it "st. Len" , he was in world war 2 and died last year. I know a lot of you guys like to see them in army camoflauge but these are the colors of our company and we like to have our trucks the same colors. I still have some questions for you guys that i will post later, so let me know what you guys think about the truck.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking trucks. But I think the following:

1. You will have a problem with bees making homes in the nooks and crannies of them.

and

2. You should paint the word "DeWalt" on the door of that top one. Not sure why.

:)

mbal

Thanks guys, Maddawg these pics are of the same truck before and after.
And yes i would agree about the dewalt decal on the before pic

mbal

We are on m13 just north of linwood rd, if don't see it out there and the shop is open just stop on in.
I will check on the tire size this morning, i do know they are firestone.

area52

A) I like it.

B) How do you tow with it and what can/do you tow with it?

C) if you don't mind me asking, what sort of rate do you charge for a tow or recovery with it?

D) Did I mention that I like it!! 8)

mbal

The truck does have a tow bar on it, but because of the wheel base and the fact that it only goes 50 mph it will mainly be for recoveries. We have a 20 ton freightliner that handles pretty much anything heavy but in the winter we get a lot of snow so this should be able to help out and get some winch outs.
The priceing i am still working on, i am thinking different prices for the different situations becouse of the maintnance that would have to be involved. The manual says that everytime you forge deep water you have to regrease everything underneath. There also might have to be a round trip mileage because the truck is only suppose to get 5 or 7 miles to the gallon..Then there are always those times that our wreckers are unable to get to the disabled vehicle because of thick snow, sometimes the snow get right up to 3 ft and the county are to backed up to help out. I am still not sure what that charge would be but i am open to opinions. We always like to keep the cost low but with the fuel prices here and the liability ins sometimes its hard.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Matt,
Nice looking truck. I'd be suprised if you get mileage as high as you mention above - something to consider when you set your rates. Also, beware they get stuck easy - don't ask how I know!

Local guy used one recovering lots of agricultural equipment, made good money with it - until he did without a snatchblock, and used a bolt for a shear pin in the rear winch drive - and burst the housing. He sold the truck rather than repair it.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks