• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M818 recovery

jrobinson5093

I went and picked up a M818 this afternoon. I traded a 1951 Plymouth rust bucket and $2500 for it. They threw in 2 new batteries, it has decent tires, and a hard top. Now the bad, it has a fueling problem. Once up to speed it runs fine to me, but it idles really rough. When you accelerate from a stop it acts like it is starving for fuel, but only for a few seconds. I drove it a hour and a half home. It has some ugly butt thing were the bumper should be. It has a springer seat, which I have never sat in one before. I will never have a box seat again. I had a blow out on the trailer but other than that it was smooth sailinm8183.jpgm818.jpgm8182.jpgplymoth.jpgplymoth2.jpgg.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the fuel transfer valve on the floor(left side) and the flexible line from the filter to the IP. Either one or both could be your problem. AMGeneral has a thread on how to rebuild the valve, and NAPA makes hoses.

dilligaf13

Also not a bad idea to replace the fuel filters while your at it. There's a permenant thread with the NAPA and civilian filter numbers listed for the M809's.

jrobinson5093

Someone added a pump in between the filter and the IP. I found a leak in the hose running from the pump and IP. Also my starter seems to be stuck engaged several seconds after the engine starts.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why in the world would they add a pump between the filter and the IP? Sounds like they had problems with the fuel system, and came up with the extra pump to solve it.

jrobinson5093

I ordered a filter today. I replace one hose that I could see leaking, it runs better but still not right. I adjusted the valves, they all had a lot of lash to them. I will read up on adjusting the injectors. I did some searching and for some good info I just need to get a inch pound torque wench. I still believe I have a fuel problem. Im gonna check the rest of the lines for air leaks and the pick up in the tank. Also the valve on top of the transmission to put air to the sprag is leakin when I shut the truck off so It must be leaking all the time. And when I push the break pedal I lose a lot of air and can hear it hissing so I have to find out what that is.

Carlo

My 931A1 had the same problem and I have heard from many others here that they too in countered the same thing. My fuel lines looked good but there were hair line cracks plus the fuel tank change over valve was sucking air.

Scarecrow1

Sounds like your slow walking it down . Keep on just reading and looking it is a fairly simple system but due to its age almost everything is worn out . Good luck and keep us posted.........

jrobinson5093

Yea Im a diesel mechanic at a ford dealer so I got a pretty good understanding. It does help out alot though to be able to talk to people who deal with these truck more than I have.

tstone

Every 5 ton truck that I have had problems with involved air being sucked into the system through unnoticeable loose connections, most of which were at the tank selector valve. When ever I go to pick up a truck I'll bring hose clamps and extra fuel line with me; I'll bypass the existing fuel system and run a temporary line from the tank to the filter then to the IP. When I get the vehicle back home I'll clean the tanks, replace all of the fuel lines, filter and clean and reassemble the tank selector valve; you should never have a problem afterwards.
Good Luck

jrobinson5093

Well I just got around to by passing the swapping valve today and replaced the fuel line from the filter to the IP. I had to replace to belts that run from the acc drive pulley to the fan pulley. I also repacked the bearings in the pulley. It starts and runs a lot better, but number six is still missing. I am gonna try and adjust the injector tomorrow. Im having problems with the starter not engaging the flywheel it just spends most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks