• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My m925a1 build "Brutus"

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started working on greasing the truck. Lot of the zirks haven't seen grease in a long time. I also bought plastic zirk covers for them to keep dirt and debris out of them. Black go on one's easily exposed. I'm using blue for the suspension and red for the drivetrain. More photos to come.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greased all the zirk fittings. What a pita that was. The trans/T case shaft is not easy. Truck is now greased. I also bled the power steering fluid and replaced fluid with amsoil powershift fluid 10wt. After looking at the power steering filter, I have decided to not take the pump apart and put an inline oil filter. I will place it on top of the radiator in the C channel and run it on the return line back to the pump. This way I can always change the filter easy, have a larger filter, and better micron rating. More photos to come.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the fram trans filter with a napa. Did this when flushing with amsoil. Bought an external powersteering filter and base. Plan is to put on the return side. 10 micron filter and 3 to 4x larger than stock filter.

Also found my lower radiator hose when I did the mrap swap is leaking. The outlet for the mrap is 2", the truck is 3". I took a piece of hose over the 2" outlet and then put the stock coolant hose over it temporary to snug it up. Now that I have the proper hoses I will correct it and use constant torque clamps. More photos to come.

Attachments

Valor

Installed a new fuel sending unit for the tank. Gauge works like it should now. Used stainless Allen key head bolts because the pan screws were stripping when taking out. They are 10/32 fine thread for those wondering.
Was wondering where you got the fuel tank sending unit. Nice truck.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was wondering where you got the fuel tank sending unit. Nice truck.
Thank you. Bought online. Fixed my issues. They tend to fail alot. I still have a rod I insert through the strainer to see what the level is as a failsafe.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounted up an external power steering filter. Didn't want to mess around with the powersteering pump so decided to bypass it and add redundancy. Went to a local hydraulic line place and got a filter base and filter. Uses a cross filter 10 micron. Had to run 3/4" npt adapters down to 1/2" npt. This filter almost 4x the size and better micron ratingover stock. I bought 10ft of 1/2" rubber line. Prior to the new filter I installed a new rubber line for the return. Didn't want to waste it so I decided to use that line and install a barb fitting and run another new piece to the filter base. The filter fits inside the c channel I had made for the radiator. It mounts from the top 2 bolts 1/4 x20" thread. I ran the lines around the coolant radiator hose so it's not next to the pulley. The line from the steering box has 1" to 2" of play, the output line from the filter to the pump has more slack. Put some rubber line around the lines so they don't rub on the coolant hose. Filter added over 1 quart to the capacity. Pleased with end result.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought some lugnuts from Ken Spencer for the hemtt wheels to go on the 5 ton. They have a sleeve that goes in between the rim and the stud for some support.

I also fixed my leaking radiator hose on the passenger side. When you go to the mrap rad, the mrap has a 2" diameter hole vs 2.5." Bought an adapter to go from 2.5" to 2" and then bought constant Torque clamps to fix the leak.

I also got to drive the truck for the first time in the snow. Had 2" of snow. The truck spun quite a bit, the larger tires definitely reduce ground pressure. Truck needs a couple tons in the bed for better traction.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought Ken Spencer's fuel filter kit. I wish I had done this sooner! You can see the mud and crap in the filter base and filter. Definitely has not been changed in a very long time. Ran the new lines that came with the kit, went with Napa 3406 and Napa 3674. 3406 is the water fuel seperator that's 14 micron and napa 3674 is a 2 micron filter. I wanted the largest possible and they fit great. I ran the truck 20 mins before working on the project. Filled both filters and then filled the line from filter to Injection pump and tightened it up. Truck fired up 1/4 crank with no issues.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started to work on the air dryer today and doing maintenance. Found out that I have the upgraded air dryer from the LMTV. Ordered a Haldex DQ6050 desicant filter. According to Midwest military equipment other than changing the desicant filter, There is no other maintenance involved in the air dryer. Here's some photos of the unit and serial numbers if someone wants to upgrade.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desiciant filter installed. Old one didn't come out easily. After 2 hours I got it free. What a pain. It would not release. Using a vice and compressing slightly did not help. Not sure why it was stuck because there was no rust. Regardless. I got it out, cleaned everything and reinstalled. It's working great.

My girlfriend and I finished all the body scuffing and priming. Applied bedliner to truck surface for a textured look. Will be painting Marine Corps Forest Green (34052) by rapcoparts. Always had great luck with using them.

I also ordered a hardtop. (I always wanted a convertible). I am waiting for it to come in. I still need to remove the plate behind the cab in prep for it. Plan is to paint inside of the Fiberglass top and prime outside. When I paint outside it will be whole body at once.

I replaced front dust boots that had holes. Running new safety wire and greasing up kingpins and should be done for routine maintenance.

received_1616811922422908.jpeg

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchased a nice 3 panel switch with inline fuses and green light indicators. Gentlemen on Facebook makes them. Very nice quality. Can be either 24v or 12v. You can choose between a volt meter or USB charger as well. I went with the USB charger for cellphones, GPS, etc.

Switch will run the backup lights, bed light and I'll have a spare switch for an additional accessory. Need to figure out placement for the switch panel today and start wiring it up. Trying to decide If I want 24v or 12v for the switches. I have a small 24v to 12v inverter I might use.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got alot done in last couple weeks. With the help of my girlfriend I got the herculiner applied to exterior of the truck. I purchased some despline axle caps for front axle, new axle boots. I just installed new led bulbs for the dash. Best part is retaining the low and high functions. Also replaced the shifter light. Makes it easier to see. And of course Sgt. Tibbs was the supervisor of the project today.

I installed some spacers on the spare tire mount to allow room for the 16r20 tire. More photos to come.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks