• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M931 with tracks.

Excuse Me

To hopefully avoid the time to upload the pics to yet another site, here's a link to my thread I just put up with pictures of my 931 on tracks so far.

If it dont work, say so and I will try to upload the pics here somehow in full size.

Thanks.
DSC02315.jpg

There are some previous pic of it some where in a thread on here. I just dont remember where right now.

RangerBob

I've heard that Argos using the same concept (rubber over wheels) have a problem with the wheels spinning inside the 'tracks' when muddy or icy/snowy. Have you had similar results? I see you've had it in the rain, but since the rear end is unloaded, there may not have been enough friction between the rubber and the ground to cause the tires to spin.

Now if you could fab a couple of real track sets for the rear like I have for my Jeep, then you'd have a beast of a half-track!!

CIMG0002.jpg

ntxcop

That is American ingenuity at it's finest!

You may have covered this in your other thread, but I didn't see it so here goes, I see you have ribs down the center of the belt going around the rear tires. Is that to keep the belt tracking between the dual tires or is there a drive gear installed to keep the belt from slipping? Just curious.

Looks pretty cool!

Excuse Me

Yes, the guide blocks in the center of the track belts is for tracking only. Drive power is friction on front and rear. The rear track belts are from a caterpillar 65 farm tractor. They are heavily reinforced belts with cables and webbing. The fronts are basically conveyor belting with traction lugs on the outside and guide pins on the inside which are all bonded tot he conveyor belting. I took a front tire in to Pacific Belting in Portland Oregon and had them cut and slice the belt so that letting the air out of the tires, slipping the belt over the inside tire and installing the outside then inflating the tires would make them tight. It works awesome they go on and off just like that and are tight on the tires when inflated.
Thanks.

Excuse Me

I've heard that Argos using the same concept (rubber over wheels) have a problem with the wheels spinning inside the 'tracks' when muddy or icy/snowy. Have you had similar results? I see you've had it in the rain, but since the rear end is unloaded, there may not have been enough friction between the rubber and the ground to cause the tires to spin.

Now if you could fab a couple of real track sets for the rear like I have for my Jeep, then you'd have a beast of a half-track!!

View attachment 481497
I built the rig in my avitar picture back in 2002. It was dubbed "Donzilla" by my friends. I have dismantled it and reconfigured much of the parts for project "Toyzilla".
donzilla..jpg
4 steer.jpg

I'll locate my toyzilla pics later. But ya, slippage can be an issue, and time will tell how bad it is with this rig. I can replace the rear idler axle with a drive axle if needed, but the front axle also pulls.

Your jeep looks great.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you going to drive it on paved roads routinely or is basically a field truck that will go on the road occasionally?

What is it's intended purpose?

How do you install the tracks on the rear?

Can you increase tension on the tracks?

I see there is no driveshaft between the 2nd and 3d axle so I assume it's a dead axle.

Is it fixed or does it have air bags or springs?

Inquiring minds (and nosey people) want to know.

Excuse Me

Are you going to drive it on paved roads routinely or is basically a field truck that will go on the road occasionally?
Mostly off road. Just pavement to the fields.

What is it's intended purpose?
A farm spray truck.

How do you install the tracks on the rear?
I took the outside duals off and put the belt on, then installed the duals. Same way for the front, only I have to deflate the tires.

Can you increase tension on the tracks?
Yes. The suspension has adjustable arms that hold the axle in place. Lengthen the arms to tighten the tracks.

I see there is no driveshaft between the 2nd and 3d axle so I assume it's a dead axle.
Yes, for now. It is a non drive, semi trailer axle. But that is slated to be modified someday.

Is it fixed or does it have air bags or springs?
Springs. It is a Reyco(sp) suspension.

Inquiring minds (and nosey people) want to know.
I have a hitch plate for the back end that will have several 2.5" receiver tubes for any hitch height. I left the truck as close to original as I could. I plan to leave the 24volt light plug and all just as it is and run led lights on the equipment. I have a 60 amp 24/12 volt reducer that I am installing now to run the 12 volt sprayer controls and gps etc.

So far, all is going well. I have plans....:lol: to ad turning brakes, but we'll see if I even need them. Empty, I do not. Loaded?.............

Excuse Me

I dont really know. I'd think that perhaps some of the oil field transports could use something like it, but they may require newer vehicles that meet other standards etc. Utilities that maintain towers and stuff out in the woods and places that are not accessable with wheeled rigs should be interested. But it just seems anymore, that no one is willing to run anything but brand new. Farmers are getting the same way. So a market would likely be quite limited, but it would be fun to see if a kit could be sold.

The biggest cost would be the track belts. And the most difficult part of instal would be the frame extension. But usually the folks that would use such a rig, would have the capabilities to do such an instal. IMO. I am lucky to be in the position I am and get belts given to me that are in working order. It costs a lot to for the track disposal fee, so I let some of the sellers now I will take good used ones off their hands and save their customer the fee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks