• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M931A1 conversion to a dump truck

Glenngineer

Here are pics of the PTO, It went on no problem ,is air shift and direct pump mount (pump not on yet) and no problem with heat from the exhaust.
Everyone that has had problems installing there pto may have been using the wrong pto,I have seen two kinds of housings for sale and in my opinion some of them are the wrong ones. The housings bolt up but won't clear the frame properly.

Nahanni 14.JPGNahanni 15.JPG

Last edited:

8madjack

What pto and pump did you use? I have one of the surplus ones (chelsea?) But no pump yet. Ill need to set up for an M1084 crane and possibly dump install om my M931A1.

Glenngineer

What pto and pump did you use? I have one of the surplus ones (chelsea?) But no pump yet. Ill need to set up for an M1084 crane and possibly dump install om my M931A1.
I ordered a Chelsea parker 221R part# 221REAJP-A3XK which gave me a 15/28 gear ratio (the middle of the three available ratios) air shift and a sae B 2 or 4 bolt 13 tooth direct pump mount (no driveshaft required) will have to check on the pump the installers are going to use and the expected GPM.I like that I got the features I wanted on the pto , took three months to get the pto but I think it will be worth it. Have a few more tricks up my sleeve that I will be posting as they are done.

Last edited:

8madjack

Thanks, I like the idea of a direct mount pump and air shift pto as well, makes for a simpler cleaner setup. I like that the install was easy too. Maybe Ill sell my NIB surplus one and go that route.

Glenngineer

Thanks, I like the idea of a direct mount pump and air shift pto as well, makes for a simpler cleaner setup. I like that the install was easy too. Maybe Ill sell my NIB surplus one and go that route.
There was only room for a 15 GPM pump which is plenty for my hoist ,It turns out they did have to loosen the tranny bolts and move the trans a little bit to get the PTO in .

8madjack

Truck looks great!

I got a line on a winch kit with the hydraulics complete, I think I'll just upgrade the pump if necessary and step the pressure down for the winch and use full pressure for the crane and dump if I need to. Hopefully the stock setup will run it all with the proper valving.

Glenngineer

I mounted my modified original crane and spare tire today. One pin and the crane can be removed with the spare because it's not needed unless I am working in a remote location. The lift gate has been engineered to lift even with the extra weight of the crane and tire.

Attachments

Last edited:

Glenngineer

I had my truck go through commercial inspection yesterday and it passed with no problems found at all . Going to insure it today so I went through a scale and have gone over all the local vehicle regulations . My truck full of fuel with the spare on the back weighs 26500lbs , gvw with running the super singles is allowed to be 50500lbs so that gives me 24000lbs of legal load on the road if I can get enough weigh on the front axle with the short wheel base.

Glenngineer

I had my truck go through commercial inspection yesterday and it passed with no problems found at all . Going to insure it today so I went through a scale and have gone over all the local vehicle regulations . My truck full of fuel with the spare on the back weighs 26500lbs , gvw with running the super singles is allowed to be 50500lbs so that gives me 24000lbs of legal load on the road if I can get enough weigh on the front axle with the short wheel base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks