• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M998 finally made it home!

kestrelnh

The EUC took a little over 100 days to clear.

I gave up on the trucking company after about a month of them not being able to get the HMWMV to me.

The trip from NH to outside of Ft. Dix and back took 16 hours in a tow vehicle that didn't have cruise control.

But it was all worth it, since my truck is finally here :grin:

IMG_0171.jpg

Overall, it seems pretty solid. It's a 1992 M998 in green.

The bad (really not bad at all):

• The alternator (Niehoff 200 amp) is making a slight grinding noise, so I may have to put bearings in it (guidance anyone?)
  • There is some surface rust on the suspension components that I need to clean up
  • I had to replace one windshield, and a side view mirror
  • The canvas doors are shot

The good:

• The engine appears to be a newer (the valve covers and stickers are downright shiny) 6.5 with a Navistar 506 block, and it runs and starts GREAT.
  • No leaks or weird noises while driving
  • Tires and brakes are in good shape
  • Pretty good cosmetic shape for a ~25 year old truck

I have several days worth of basic recommended maintenance to go through, which I'm looking forward to.

It's really nice to have it home :grin:

hummer4x4guy

Nice truck! I'd suggest the grounding harness and non swelling glow plugs. LED heated headlights. Rubber duck hood lift assist, upgraded seats and steering wheel.
Will you keep it green or camo it out later?

kestrelnh

Thanks! I'm think I'm going to keep it green. I'm definitely doing the grounding harness and glow plugs. The truck has a new(ish) Natron EESS that I don't think is the older PCB that I heard was prone to setting the truck on fire, otherwise that would be nearly first on the list. Until my back tells me otherwise, I kinda like my older style seats!

kestrelnh

Nice truck. Won't take you long to want to upgrade the seats. What did you pull it home with?
A competent but totally uninteresting vehicle I borrowed from a friend: a 2015 Ford F-250. To me, the most remarkable thing about it was that it was able to be spec'd with heated mirrors and simultaneously without cruise control! The integrated brake controller was very nice.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A competent but totally uninteresting vehicle I borrowed from a friend: a 2015 Ford F-250. To me, the most remarkable thing about it was that it was able to be spec'd with heated mirrors and simultaneously without cruise control! The integrated brake controller was very nice.
huh?

Was just wondering. My 5.4 f150 didn't like pulling mine but it made it.

kestrelnh

Was just wondering. My 5.4 f150 didn't like pulling mine but it made it.
The F-250 I used has the 6.2 gas engine. It's a work truck: single cab, 8' bed, 4wd, tow package, and not many frills beyond that. It did just fine, although being gas, revved a bit more than I was comfortable with to maintain highway speeds through the hills of VT and NH. My opinion is the 6 speed auto did very nicely in tow/haul mode. It got 11 mpg with the trailer unloaded, and 10mpg with the HMMWV back there. Beggars can't be choosers, and since my daily driver is rated to haul 2,000 lbs, I was grateful to have it.

On V news: I've ordered the grounding harness, filters, and various other small things. The weather got pretty snotty in NH this week, and if I can fit the HMMWV into the garage (9' wide doors seem very narrow all of sudden) I'll start going through it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks