• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a genset has antifreeze leaking inside the cabinet

myridge

I went to check on my generator yesterday and noticed it wouldn't start after I re-connected the battery disconnect. Then I went hook up a charger and noticed there was something wet near the battery tray. When I traced it I started to see antifreeze seeping from somewhere near the waterpump. I start it every other Wednesday to give it 15-30min of run time and last time it also had low batteries so now I am questioning my alternator or the extreme cold and it zapped my batteries.

We have seen several days around -9 here in Missouri so it's been cold by my Antifreeze tests good according to my little glass bubble tester down to -40 so I am not sure what caused the leak I am worried.

What can I check? This is an older picture but shows the area I see the wetness coming from. It seems to be dripping from this oxidized bolt shown in the picture.

File_002(2).jpg

Bmxenbrett

Thats been leaking for some time if theres white stuff on it. It looks like a square plug? If so just take it out, put pipe dope or teflon tape on it and reinstall. I wouldnt even drain the coolant.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 802 had a leak in that area when I got it. There was a rubber cap on an unused nipple on the water pump. It had dried, cracked and was weeping. Others have had the same issue with the rubber caps leaking. Could be the cap leaking if it isn't the plug pointed out in the post above.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would bet you KLOPPK is right. I have seen this a number of times, (because they were leaking) with the plastic cap. I fixed several by simply finding another cap. Been about 9 years, so I can not remember what or where I found the cap. Get a good flashlight and check it out. I think I used a plug in one or two, but just cant remember.

jamawieb

If its not the cap that everyone is stating, then there is an o-ring that mates the water pump plate to the block, that is located right above your arrow. You have to pull the pump and plate to get to the o-ring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks