• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 803a

zanther

Picked this up a few weeks ago and just starting to mess with it.

Good news is the local GP guys were using it to power their shop trailer... I think that's good news at least?

Checked fluid levels yesterday and fired it up to warm up a bit, was planning on changing the oil and I like it warm so it flows well.

Looks like I bought the wrong filter at Oreillys so ended up not changing the oil but I did temporarily hook it up to my house generator subpanel for the first time. I temporarily used a 7500W rate cable I had, knowing that I wasn't going to load it heavy and that it was literally for just testing/temporary. My house connection is rated for 10KW.

The plan is to mount this permanently and add an aux fuel tank. We lose power several times a year here, and being a sub-loop at the end of a long section of power line, we often are out for a day or 4.

I'll probably make the M116a3 trailer it sits on into a snowmobile or offroad trailer rig to tow behind the deuce. Though I'll need to get an adjustable lunette as it rides at a steep angle now.

20160909_013457182_iOS.jpg20160825_015443767_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

zanther

3600 and then GP fees and WA state tax.. those added up to basically another 20%

Still cheaper than what I could find online and definitely cheaper than the LP/NG aircooled units I find at HomeDepot or local installers.

My dad is an electrician so next month he'll help me wire it correctly to a 70 Amp 240 breaker, based on Daybreak's thread here that show it'll produce up to 67.4 amps at 133% load.

Pulling permits as well so we'll have to deal with the meter man as I want to reconfigure my power service entrance plan.

GeneratorReconfigure.jpg

zanther

Yeah its not a cheap switch, actually planning on the 200 amp service rated generac ats , $650 , and then ill add modules for my heat pump, water heater, and well. Theres enough juice to run them but not to handle the surge if they all start at once.

Ill actually use the ATS manually until i get an auto controller for the 803. With a pregnant wife, i need this to be really easy for her to start with me gone. She works from home, lucky!, so needs most household to run.

JRM

Since I have 400A service I skipped the $$ auto transfer switch, moved everything I needed to one panel and bought a new breaker box cover with the main 200A lockout and added a 50A breaker with #6 wire threw the side of the house to a 50A input. I loaded unneeded items such as dryer, electric heat, and hot tub to the non-backed up panel. Also Added a EV charger while the wall was open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C37TiizFr8

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks