• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "New" CUCV M1008

prairie

I got an '84 M1008 about a 1 1/2 months ago, and have put about 1200 miles on it.

Mechanically its in very good shape, as it only has 12,000 miles on it.

Body wise it has some rust in all the usual places and the typical forklift damage, including the driveshaft which has been repaired.

For the most part it runs and drives great despite a set of mismatched AT's.

Has the following problems and my repair plans:
death wobble-- new kingpin springs and bushings, matching set of balanced
tires, and replacement of a dented steering stabilizer.
Low Coolant light on permanently-- seems like common problem that I should be
able to troubleshoot
Chattering from behind dash near steering column-- another common malady that
shouldn't be to hard to troubleshoot
Miscellaneous wiring that needs to be tidied up--zip ties, loom and some wire
replacement as needed

It is my DD ranch/farm pickup and I already had a PowerLoc installed in the front.

To make it more capable I plan the following:
1" ORD body lift
1" Zero Rate/EZ Inch moving the axle 1" forward
Fender trimming as needed to fit and flex 36" Irocs on 17" wheels
Bolt in steering box brace
Possibly a disc brake conversion
Sylvania SilverStar Headlights
Headlight Relay Conversion
Receiver Hitch mounted below the bumper

When I get enough posts I'll load up some pics.

Barrman

The -20 takes you through the coolant light. Unplug at radiator, light should be on. Ground the wire and light should go out. If yours does this, then you need a new sensor. I got one at ORielly's for $8.50 I think a few weeks ago.

prairie

Thanks Barrman.
In my lurking and searching on this site over the last couple months I've learned a lot.
Haven't taken time to look over the tech and repair manuals very well yet.
Just haven't had time to do anything but necessary work on the pickup.
Sounds like the low coolant light will be a very easy and simple fix.
I see from the service records that came with the pickup, that the low coolant light was noted as needing repair several times and that it has been repaired at least twice before.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a big support group for body lifts here. Any reason for going that route over a suspension lift?

prairie

Not a big support group for body lifts here. Any reason for going that route over a suspension lift?
I want to minimize lift to keep the center of gravity low, and with some fender trimming still clear the 36" tires.

The 1" zero rates and 1" body lift can also be done cheaper than an all spring suspension lift. Besides I already have the body lift and zero rates sitting around from a major,and stalled out, K30 project. Just need to buy some U-bolts and I'll have everything I need.

I wouldn't do over a 1" body lift, I have heard to many negatives to that. everyone I know or have heard of putting on a 1" body lift has been happy with the results.

Last edited:

prairie

I checked into used drive shafts. By the time I bought one and had it shipped in, it would have been nearly the same price as having mine re-tubed and balanced. Plus I basically have new drive shaft that I know is balanced.
If you could find one locally, a used one might be a better deal.
3ba83fdf-d472-44b5-bb5e-19b975cc099c

ultim8gamr

New Tires may save you from having to mess with the kingpins. My M1008 had a bad case of the death wobble that disappeared after a lift kit install and new tires that were properly balanced.
just a thought to let you focus on other things

Timber

New Tires may save you from having to mess with the kingpins. My M1008 had a bad case of the death wobble that disappeared after a lift kit install and new tires that were properly balanced.
just a thought to let you focus on other things
That and the bent steering stabilizer.

tagjeep

Where does the wire for the coolant sensor reside?
I have the low coolant light on, and my sensor (on the passenger side of radiator tank,right?) has no wire to it, and I can't see one anywhere around it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks