• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new deuce and some bobbing questions

Joeinderry

First I want to say i'm a newbie and I love the SS website.
Just picked up a deuce. Never thought about one until I saw it on Craigslist. It is a turbo diesel whistler (sounds awesome), 12,800 miles, extremely clean, and is a joy to drive (over 200 miles so far and have only had it for 6 days.) Anyway it came with a set of front deuce springs, 4 brand new tires Michelin X 395/85 R20 XZL mounted on what I am told are Combat rims. I was wondering if I bob this can I keep the axle in its stock location? Will the tire rub on the gas tank? Will it look to short? Should I set the axle back some and have the driveshaft lengthened? I have a dropside bed so I don't need to center the wheels under a wheel well. Do I need to put any blocks under the leaf springs or can I use them just as they are? Will it look even to the front this way? Thanks for any info. advice, and suggestions. Joe

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers... I wouldn't bob it. The setup you have is great. Best to bob a fixxer upper then a really nice truck in which yours sounds like it is in.

Joeinderry

Picture progress

Well I wasnt going to start this project for a couple days, but at 5:30 I took out the torches and blew out the bed bolts. By 6:30 it was off. Maybe by Sunday i'll have only 1 axle in it.

DUECE-COUPE

The rims are re-centered 900 series 5 ton combat rims. If the run flat insert was re-installed in the tire before assembly, then you can run lower tire pressures and get a VERY BIG tire foot print when running it in mud and sand.