• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new Deuce. Or should it be Dice?

H1Alpha

Just picked these up. New Deuces owner. Now, what the **** do I do with these??? My wife's gonna kill me...

Last edited:

H1Alpha

I just did a search on this forum for "Reliable" and "Reliability". Nothing came up... How reliable is an A3 from the auctions? I'm assuming I'm going to spend at least 5k in necessities. I know it can vary...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a search on this forum for "Reliable" and "Reliability". Nothing came up... How reliable is an A3 from the auctions? I'm assuming I'm going to spend at least 5k in necessities. I know it can vary...
Given your avatar and user name, parts prices may not really shock you. Unlike the A2, A3 wheel bearings and seals are pricey, as are many parts for the CAT diesel and the Allison transmission.

From different forum members' experiences, it appears that the main A3-specific items to watch out for are unserviceable tires (may look ok on the outside but are cracked on the inside, from standing flat for long times, due to defective CTIS; causing unexpected blow-outs), defective CTIS, automatic transmission shift issues (truck won't move when tranny placed into reverse or tranny will not hold 2nd or 3rd gear). I am sure you will read up on all the other discussions, such as what to do with the 15W40 filled transmission (to flush or not to flush), repair or cap off CTIS, front end wobble and so on.

As for reliability, others will chime in; A3's are complete re-builds from the early to late 1990', with upgraded and more modern components and as such more likely to be in useable shape, with oftentimes true low miles and hours. However, you can end up with a complete turd - always a possibility.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Getting back to the OP's question, you're doing OK. It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission. Who knows, maybe she might want one? You can always say, "Look Honey, I bought these for us"!

Hmmm, the approach of telling her you bought a real gem for her might be dangerous... Stick with: "Honey.... I was looking for something we could do together." I've got two women friends who would grab my hand and say: "Lets go!"

H1Alpha

Given your avatar and user name, parts prices may not really shock you. Unlike the A2, A3 wheel bearings and seals are pricey, as are many parts for the CAT diesel and the Allison transmission.

From different forum members' experiences, it appears that the main A3-specific items to watch out for are unserviceable tires (may look ok on the outside but are cracked on the inside, from standing flat for long times, due to defective CTIS; causing unexpected blow-outs), defective CTIS, automatic transmission shift issues (truck won't move when tranny placed into reverse or tranny will not hold 2nd or 3rd gear). I am sure you will read up on all the other discussions, such as what to do with the 15W40 filled transmission (to flush or not to flush), repair or cap off CTIS, front end wobble and so on.

As for reliability, others will chime in; A3's are complete re-builds from the early to late 1990', with upgraded and more modern components and as such more likely to be in useable shape, with oftentimes true low miles and hours. However, you can end up with a complete turd - always a possibility.
Yeah, I'm well aware of part prices... I figured that I'd be doing some tire replacement. Bearings and seals are something I need to look into. I'm really hoping that the engine and tranny and good.

CTIS, I have plenty of experience with given my long, educational Hummer history. I budgeted about $500 for CTIS repair and/or modification. Teflon tape works wonders... Be nice if the controllers and solenoids work.

I've decided that I will flush the tranny about 3 times. That's a few hundred more.

Time will tell...

Hoefler

I have gotten three A3's out of Sparta. Two where great-barely any issue. CTIS-forget about it. One was a "towed onto lot-no fluids" truck. Had blown head gasket and missing drive shaft-outside of that, she was a low mile clean truck (small area of rust). Issues-check valve on top of fuel tank-take it off and clean it. Flush transmission four times with Allison fluid. Steering assist-crank air regulator to max and check fittings for leaks at pitman arm. Put a bit of Marvel Mysterious oil in the line that feeds the cylinder and cycle a few times. Both of my runners have been trouble free and economical on fuel. I did change out the tires to larger ones to get a little less RPMs on motor when running at 50 MPH. Enjoy your trucks-A3's are great and fun to drive.

waayfast

She's lucky I don't hand her a wrench and have her grease the wheel bearings.
Heh, Heh, I'm in so much trouble around here---if I tried that ,my GF would grease the top of my head with the wrench.

Welcome , nice trucks and she will get over it and understand eventually----or maybe not----------------------

Jim

Last edited:

TxFireDeuce

A3s run great the VFD I am with has one the brakes are the hard part to work on the cat eng. is governed at 55 mph but it will run 55 all day long I have run m35a2s m34s and m35a3s and the A3s drive great