• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new Faraday cage/shed with insulation...a work in progress

storeman

Some pics of the Faraday cage I'm working on.

MKT roof from GL, structural aluminum frame. 5v galvanized siding. Alum foil covered 1 1/2 " Celotex insulation (foil both sides) was used for walls and ceiling both for emp and sound deadening. Materials, except for 5v were left from my store construction in 2000.

As you can see, the herd of generators in my avatar has been reduced to two. Oil tank and yellow air hose are my quick disconnect aux fuel system.

Jerry:beer::beer:

Attachments

storeman

Tubing is 2" from Advance about $28 for each 5' length. 1 3/4" would have been better but I split the ends at the mep elbow and used SS hose clamps and aluminum tape to seal the exhaust. I I nee to bring one out of the shed, just pull the tubing through wall. Napa also carries it in 10' lengths.

Haven't tested it yet, will later. With 3 layers of metal, am sure it will work.
Jerry

Last edited:

jeepin

Nice setup. Do you have both sets wired so either one both can power the circuit at the same time? If yes, how did you set that up?

storeman

No the sets do not run at the same time. One is back-up to the other. The one on the left is isolated by a removable spade witch. If I were to run it, the right hand one would be physically disconnected by removing the 50 amp plug from it's receptacle. It would be nice to have an isolator switch like on the military power units, but I haven't found one. Hint, Hint.
Jerry :grd::grd:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, in the event of a EMP, what do you plan on powering with it? Lightbulbs, electric heaters maybe?

And wait, wouldn't the houses electrical system be a big antenna for a strike to make its way into the shelter?

storeman

Perhaps Patracy.
But both units have physical disconnects at the house panel and in the shed. There is a house power quad outlet box and 2 fluorescent fixtures in there on house power but I think, at the worst, they would just be burned up rather than affect the generators since they are not connected.
Jerry

storeman

Are we really that worried about an EMP strike? or is it just cool to build stuff?
Cool to build. Besides, I needed another shed. Might as well use materials already on hand and get some additional benefits from it.
I'm not quaking in my Army boots but am prepared.

Jerry

Last edited:

edgephoto

I know where EMPs come from. Just was curious. I like building cool stuff too. I did not mean to make anyone upset. I am prepared for extended outages. I want to use the MEP-002A as my main b/u generator and keep my petrol model for backing that up. Once I get my units running and working good my friend and I will work on how to connect them to our houses. Then I will work on safely and easily storing enough fuel.

helomedic1171

I'm learning that one too. I got a way to store fuel, a working unit, now I need house hook-up and genset storage. I'm also testing some noise abatement on my dad's unit. I know lots of guys say no mufflers, but so far his haven't hurt performance. the real test will be this weekend when we run his house with an 003A.

edgephoto

I have a generator connection box and interlock already. Once I get my unit running and bring it home I will make a cord to plug it in. Then we will do a test for a weekend to see how she does. In the spring I may build a shed to hold it. Have not decided on how to store it. I am torn between setting it on concrete pavers, crushed stone or timbers. I have toyed around with large casters designed for rough terrain.

storeman

Greg,
Casters are a must whatever your storage/housing arrangement. You need to be able to access the entire unit regardless of light conditions.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks