• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new load bank is a 5kw heater

Chrispyny

IMG_1935.jpg

The guys over at garagejournal mentioned a sale on a 5kw garage heater for $69 back in mid december. I jumped at the opportunity as i just purchased a new to me gorgeous South Bench 13" lathe, which i don't want sweating in my garage and rusting up.
Purchased around 12-16, delivered a few days ago for a total of $83. $39.50 in red, black, and green #10 thhn, some flex tube, and a 30 amp double pole breaker, and i was up and running in 2 hours.

This morning on my day off, a bulb lighted up above my head, LOAD BANK! A Perfect 5kw resistive load for my MEP-802a. So this am, i put another hour on it, warming it up, recharging the batteries, and blowing out any moisture off the genset and windings.
To stretch its legs, my garage has 800 watts of T5HO flourecent lighting, 400 each on their own switches. I used those to add another 800 watts of juice.

Everything went well. I have to tweek the droop juuust a bit. It runs at 62 hz hot no load, and 58.5 at full load. Could be a touch better. I don't want hz below 59.

On a wierd side, i recently installed 3 60w LED recessed lighting fixtures from home depot in my newly renovated downstairs half bath/laundry. The kind which can either be refitted in an old recessed can, or installed in a junction box right in the cieling. When the genset runs, the led's flicker. I wonder if it's not super pure power, or if the led's are sensitive to anything less than an exact 60hz.
They also do the same when my 5hp single phase baldor motor on my co pressor runs. Wierd.
Anyway, i got real lucky. A built in load bank, right in the garage. It has a toggle switch for 3, 4, and 5kw. I warmed it up for a few minutes and built up to 5k plus garage lighting for an hour, cooled it back down from 5 to 4 to than 3 then zero.
No wasted energy. The heater heats my chilly garage wonderfully.

If anyone cares, i got it at ruralkings online website. Price may have changed but it seems real good quality for a chinese import heater. And certainly was the right price!

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat load bank. I recently ran into the HZ issue too. I was in the field doing some salvage work with one of my Gennys & couldn't get a Dewalt 18 V charger to work. Until I adjusted the HZ right on, it would not charge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks