• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1008

evldoer

Well I won this one out of the base at Hooks Texas. The auction listing had very poor pictures to say the least. Was listed as a non runner, and the pics made it look worse than it actually is. I won it last august, and just finally got to see it this weekend. My Dad lives in Arkansas so when I win something in the south he does the pickup for me.
I came down for a car show in Fort Worth and decided to see if I could make this thing run before we left for the show. Well I put a pair of batteries in it and turned the key on. Heard the glow plug solenoid thump on, then off, then I turned the key to start. 15 seconds of cranking and it fired up. Runs excellent, both alts. are charging. Took it for a stroll and it won't shift out of first, so I will need to spend some time on that. Driveshaft has a slight kink in it and some forklift damage on the box on passenger side.
I will need to find a dash pad for it and an instrument cluster and bezel.
This was the truck I was going to use for a Duramax conversion, but since it is in such good running condition I will have to keep looking for a truck more suitable to cut up and modify.

Attachments

paladin1176

They must have considered it a non runner because the dash is missing. At least you have easy access to checking all of the wiring!

Looks good, now to figure out just how much fun you want to have with it.

GPrez

The lack of a dash would have scared me off from bidding. I would of figured the military hacked it up for parts. Glad it worked out for you and cranked up.

goldneagle

If it won't come out of first gear it could be as simple as getting new vacuum hoses and a transmission modulator valve. Cost me under $20 for the hoses and valve at Advance Auto.

evldoer

The lack of a dash would have scared me off from bidding. I would of figured the military hacked it up for parts. Glad it worked out for you and cranked up.
Well that's why I liked this truck. To do the duramax conversion it will get all the wires stripped out and a new style instrument cluster installed. But now that everything is functional, I will have to keep hunting for a stripped down truck. I thought for sure the glow plug card was going to be missing but there it was untouched.

evldoer

If it won't come out of first gear it could be as simple as getting new vacuum hoses and a transmission modulator valve. Cost me under $20 for the hoses and valve at Advance Auto.
Thanks for the tip Goldy, I did check for vacuum after the throttle valve and had a good.pull there at the rubber hose. When I get back t home I will dig into that more. I almost left my hot rod in Arkansas in favor of bringing this truck home on the trailer so I can work on it but the car won. I will bring it home next trip.