• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009 CUCV!

caladin

I just won the bid for a 85 M1009! Now the 90 day EUC wait! Any tips? I have looked over the FAQ and parts list and Im ready to take ownership!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new addition to your family and :cookoo:OD addiction:cookoo:, there is no known cure:mrgreen:aua:evil:!!!

Bring batts, fuel and filter, oil, air compressor, along with assorted tools...

Read ALL of the CUCV posts and of course the TMs.

Have fun with the wait, and Good Luck!

Oh yeah, the guys around here are visual, so: nopics

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

eVERYTHING 4X4 FOREVER AND SARDOT SAID, plus an oil filter. I see you're in So Cal, as am I. The Barstow and Nevada bases are draining fluids by punching holes in the tranny pan, fuel tank, and removing the diff covers-(and not replacing the bolts), and they drain the t-case.

so bring those fluids, the oil filter, bolts and gaskets witha scraper for the diffs, I used rtv silicone and bolts to temporarily plug the tranny pan and fuel tank, bring 5 gallons of fuel to add. They drain fluids for transportation reasons.

Download the TMs, and either print them out, or at least get familiar with them before you go pick up th oh9. (No offense, but do not shortcut the learning and research, b/c other than SS, hardly anyone knows these things)

My build thread shows photos of my tranny pan and what not. We welded drain plugs into the tranny pan and fuel tank once we got it to the shop. I recommend that for obvious draining issues, especially b/c I think we all know someone who's freind, gf, or wife accidentally put gas in the tank. The base torched a big hole in the fuel tank skid plate, so we made a skid plate that bolts to the skid plate- follow? That we if i need to drain it, i remove the access skid plate, then the drain bolt.

Hopefully you don't have these problems, but if you do, I hope this helps.

Good luck and give us pics!

Also, I recently posted a quick-look-at-overview on FAQs that is like 27 pages and covers most of the FAQ stuff, but i organized it for SS. "i figured everyone could copy it, add to it, then repaste) I'd print that out and take with you, because if you need parts or troubleshooting, it covers the basics.

Anyways, Good luck again!

-Dave

Fleg

eVERYTHING 4X4 FOREVER AND SARDOT SAID, plus an oil filter. I see you're in So Cal, as am I. The Barstow and Nevada bases are draining fluids by punching holes in the tranny pan, fuel tank, and removing the diff covers-(and not replacing the bolts), and they drain the t-case.

Great.

I just won a 1009 from Nellis. Anyone nearby that can take a look at mine to see if it has holes punched all over it?

Why on earth would they do that anyway?

Or...bring a trailer! Oh and be prepared sooner than 90 days....My EUC recently cleared in a little over three weeks and some even sooner....though of course it may not always be the case!

rod

Don't forget to bring new radiator hoses, fan belts and water/coolent. I have done recoverys both ways but I really prefer to use a trailer rather than try to drive a vehicle in an unknown condition.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barney the Deuce said it best. Bring a trailer or a correct military tow bar. GET IT HOME,
then do all the maintenance. You will be hard pressed if GL lets you do ANYTHING to your truck on their property.

Once off GL (and generally speaking whatever military base they are located on) then you could consider doing all that work, but why? Get it home safely, slowly and THEN tear into it at your home/shop/garage.

But attempting to 'drive it home' from GL, you could end up on the side of the road, broken down OR WORSE.

Get it home safely. Look it over carefully, repair it carefully and enjoy it for a long time and you can always come back here and let us know exactly what you got and how much work you do.

And just in case you have not caught on yet, WE LOVE PICTURES>>>

ryan77

Bring 2 spare tires, batteries, belts, diesel, oil and filter and a posititve attitude you might get pissed off they always look way better in the pics...... But i still enjoy a recovery.

ryan77

I did drive one home made it 900 miles and blew the front tire 30 miles from home no spare thank god for AAA towing i will never drive one home again rent a small equipment trailer:deadhorse: and tow it home.

SGT Estum

I would imagine the fluid drains are more a product of region than of anything else. CA is full of environmentalists who can't stand oil spots on the ground. The M1009 I picked up last October from Ft. McCoy, WI had no such blasphemy.

SGT Estum

As for recovery, the trip was only about 160 miles so I pulled the drive shafts and flat towed it back behind my F150. I brought an air compressor and a couple spare ties, which I fortunately did not need. I kept off the main roads and took it slow and, fortunately everything worked out fine. In a perfect world, I would have trailered it behind a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

On a truck this size, I wouldn't fool around trying to drive it home. A deuce, on the other hand... :D

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a thought, instead of trying to resurect your new beast from the dead, or near dead:

U-Haul's largest car trailer will take the M1009 with ease and the M1008 WITHOUT anything in the cab, bed, or fuel tank. The rear tires are only 4" from the end of the trailer with the M1008.

Might save ALOT of headaches.

Good Luck Guys!!

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

DON'T RENT ANYTHING FROM UHAUL... I've never ever rented anything from them that I didn't have to work on or broke down in transit. (just my free publicity that I promised to supply uhaul the last time we did business) aua John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks