• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009 has a mole

Smokinyoda

Just brought home another M1009 with several strange "mods"!

First it has some strange dome antenna on the roof that I have never seen before. Second, the spare tire carrier is on the rear. And third, someone has added a pintle hitch to the front using a block of steel that bolts to the shackle mounts.

This one also has the ugliest camo I have seen, looks almost like yellow was blended in. But it is mostly rust free, and appears to be in great mechanical condition.

Can anyone tell what this antenna was used for?

Attachments

mistaken1

If you need a good home for that dome I volunteer to care for it. Do no know what it is or what it is for but I assume some kind of GPS antenna.

salt6

Front pintals were used to load trailers into aircraft etc. I think the brown just faded out on the truck.

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Yes the dome is a satellite antenna either gps or tracker Had the same domes on wreckers so the home office could track the trucks! the pintle hitch on the front would be handy! a lot easier to back trailers. the spare well looks like its bolted to the top edge of gate not a good deal!

Smokinyoda

the spare well looks like its bolted to the top edge of gate not a good deal!
The latch is bolted to top and bottom of the tailgate. Why is this bad? Where else would it be bolted to?

And thanks everyone for the dome help, looks like it has a coax cable type attachment. Will try and pull the numbers and find out what it was used for.

never have seen one before on a M1009, so wanted to ask the experts.:beer:

Attachments

soule64

We had a similar front pintle setup on our M1008 in Germany back in the 80's for ground handling AH-64s/UH-60s. Much easier to push aircraft around facing forward!

salt6

Found the antenna on ebay. Here's the info that was posted with it.

Military Radio AS-3439/G UHF SATCOM 225-400 Mhz Antenna

For Sale: New-Old-Stock AS-3439/G Omni-Directional Low-Gain UHF SATCOM Antenna.

The AS-3439/G antenna is used as part of the AN/GSC-40 and 40A Specilalized Communication Platform as well as the AN/MSC-64(V)

The antenna is in new, un-used condition. The item was purchased in support of a program that our company no longer supports.

The AS-3439/G list price from Raytheon is $5K Our sale price is $2,750.00 with free shipping within the United States.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I bet under the dome you'll find a omnidirectional uhf antenna that is round in shape.

Edit: I see salt6 already confirmed it OOPS.

Smokinyoda

The AS-3439/G list price from Raytheon is $5K Our sale price is $2,750.00 with free shipping within the United States.
I'm feeling generous tonight, and willing to make a deal. If anyone wants my dome for $2500 its theirs. Thats $250 less than ebay, and I will even ship it for free.rofl

IROC99

I like the way the front hitch is attached. I have thought that would be a useful design for the rear if some one wanted a rear tire carrier. I have thought about using that design for a cargo carrier attachment, except it would be raised so that a trailor could still be pulled.

OL AG '89

HOLY COW!!!!!.....
How did that escape the "pickers" on the lot???????
I just bought a M1009 from GL that showed a cool strobe light in cab in auction pictures. When I picked it up the strobe was GONE, along front tow hooks..... and they let a $2500 item go!????????