• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009!

Possumpolice

Mine came from Ft Jackson. I bought it six weeks ago,and broke down on the way home... I was so new and have been scouring this site to figure what went wrong. Six weeks later I pick it up from my mechanic, and the answer I got was a loose wire on the glow plug control module... He also said the battery and the drivers side alt was bad. I got it home and it would not start. I put a new rear battery in and drove it around all day. I bought a NAPA 31 series battery. I think it was just the battery the whole time. No gen lights on, batterys holding the charge, and both alts are 10-8. I am soo happy with it. I have a long list of things to replace based on my research here. Tom she gets a new starter relay and glow plug resistor. She is in absolutely amazing condition with 95,000 miles and just very little surface rust is the best part. My FJ-40 landcruiser is in rusty pieces after I waited to fix the body AFTER fixing most everything else you can name. Mistake and lesson learned. It was a headquarters vehicle, so I am assuming they kept it nice for the "o's" to ride in? Does the star painted on the front mean a one star used it? It will be my daily driver and adventure/hunting vehicle. Sorry to the purists, but next week or so 4" of lift, all the gear to make it right after the lift, and the the wheels and 35's off of my landcruiser. Once I wear the 35's out I will run 33's. So proud of it, and cheers to all the folks that have posted and have me on my way! I will post pics tom. Thanks again!

kapnklug

Hey congrats man, I've had my M1009 for a year now and its the best truck I've ever had (and I'm 44!) Replace your harmonic balancer and oil cooler hoses if they're not new, those are weak spots that can cost you an engine. Also, on mine the aluminum oil cooler line that runs behind the radiator had chafed against the radiator shroud and blew oil everywhere. On mine all the rubber parts (balancer, motor mounts, trans case mounts, cap seals, etc) were in rough shape (from being 25yrs old) even though all the metal was like new. Now all replaced.
This site is an invaluable resource, be sure to use the search function.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers and the OD madness.

Your first stop if you haven't been there needs to be at the CUCV Forum. 1st read the CUCV Wiki
Cucv - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Link on the links provided to download all of the Technical Manuals

and then the FAQ Thread

FAQ Thread for CUCV's

Almost every question you will have has been asked before and answered many times. Search a little and if you don't find something PLEASE ask.

Possumpolice

10-4. good advice. So far it has been a pleasure to work on. There are little tags on things with the date it was replaced and the mechanis name and rank. I put new shocks on it today, and like all the other nuts and bolts I have cranked on, they came right off. Looks like the lubed them with anti-siezing compound or something. I can't believe how nice this truck is. I am addicted. Now that I have driven it and have had it on the lift a bunch, I have decided to keep it all stock.