• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009

landen300

Hello, I'm new to this group. I just bought my first CUCV from GovLiquidation in the fall. I drove from Michigan to Camp Shelby to pick it up in December. I have been daily driving it for about 3 weeks now that the salt is off the roads. Great vehicle, runs really awesome. All I had to do was put batteries in it. I have about 2000 into it with the purchase price, driving 1800 plus miles to pick it up, batteries, and I had a dual 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust done last week. Here are a few pics...

suggsdr

Welcome aboard. Nice looking M1009 I also put in 2 battery's & my m1009 fired up.Its a good daily driver.Read up on the Doghead Mod. & other m1009 Posts lots of great info on here.Have a great day.:beer:

Westech

CPL
Nice looking tow rig too! Just a hint you want to cross your straps, more so on a trailer that has no rails. One good panic stop or hard turn and she could slide to one side or the other.

landen300

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the compliments! I would cross the straps if I could, but they aren't long enough. The lucky thing is, the rear tires on most stuff I tow is between the fenders on the trailer so side to side isn't a huge concern there. I am blessed to have not had any issues so far, and that perticular day was 950 miles without issue!

When I went to register the M1009, I checked to see if "CUCV" was available, and got really lucky! My 2nd choice was M1009A1, but I wasn't sure if the A1 was appropriate.

It has 83,000 miles. The only rust the truck has is on the rockers, the drivers is a little worse than the passenger, but neither are bad at all. I'm really impressed with it. The Flowmasters sound really good, the upgrade to 2.5" helped. I had the guy tuck the tailpipes up a little closer to the tire and body to keep them out of harms way when off road. The more I drive it, the better it runs. I think it needed to be "cleaned out" because my mileage went up to a little over 18 from 16.5 my first tank. My idle has smoothed out also. I think it may need injectors because it smokes fuel at idle a little.

I'm glad you guys like my Ford, I am a Ford guy really, but I respect and enjoy GM's too. That truck is completely rust free. I purchased it from the original owner in Sacramento California in 08. It had 91,000 miles on it. I got it for 1200 dollars, and flew out from Detroit to bring her home. It's a 6.9 diesel, 4 speed, 4x4. I put a Dana 60 front in it, so I guess its sort of a Ford M1008:grin:
The only other mod I have to do is put in a 5 speed I bought from a 1990 diesel.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from a little north of you . Nice rig
If you download your pictures directly to the site here they come up in your post , and if something happens to your photo bucket they will always be here .

ODDAVE is having a swapmeet in charlote next month , there is a thread
"southern michigan swapmeet" you should try and check it out .

Last edited:

Madfarmersson

Welcome from Colorado. Nice CUCV,[thumbzup] I just got mine last weekend, I have nothing bad to say about it, I like it better than my ford Ranger and does better on fule.:mrgreen:

Madfarmersson.

ClintA

Glad for you, now I do not feel so bad having to go so far to pick up my duece. My trip will not be as far as yours. Mine is gona be 1200 miles round trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks