• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M1028

GPrez

Won this a couple weeks ago and I will be recovering my new to me 1028 from Ft. Meade on March 6th. My EUC came back yesterday and wouldn't you know it I have Jury Duty next week so I had to put off my recovery longer than I wanted. I don't like waiting till the 9th day in case something bad happens. Been watching these for a while to give my M1009 some company, but prices always exceeded where I was willing to go. I think it helps keep the prices lower when they have 8 or so going at the same time.

The driveshaft appeared to not be bent in the pictures so I have my fingers crossed. Listed as does not run, but it's all there. My M1009 just needed a starter motor. Can't wait to get working on it.

Attachments

M1031CMT

Looks good. I hope she turns out only to need a boost.

Any plans for her? Just a run around truck, or maybe something for the zombie apocalypse? :wink:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call the GL location and give them a heads up that you have been assigned to Jury Duty. I have hear different locations are more flexible and doing your Civic Duty is a great thing. Even if you make it on the 9th day it would not hurt to have on record that you called and am asking for an extension. I always like to plan for the worse and am happy when things go well :)

Nice Truck.

GPrez

Any plans for her? Just a run around truck, or maybe something for the zombie apocalypse? :wink:
The main plan is to use it to tow my 18' deckover trailer and just to run around in. The current truck I use is owned by my company and I intend to get something more fuel friendly in the near future.

I would call the GL location and give them a heads up that you have been assigned to Jury Duty. I have hear different locations are more flexible and doing your Civic Duty is a great thing. Even if you make it on the 9th day it would not hurt to have on record that you called and am asking for an extension. I always like to plan for the worse and am happy when things go well :)

Nice Truck.
Thanks. I actually did that yesterday when I called to make my appointment. I tried to push them to let me recover it today, but they said they were booked and couldn't get me in. Ft. Meade has always been real accommodating in the past so I'm sure if something happens they will be decent about it. At least I hope they will be.

GPrez

It's Home

I picked it up at Ft. Meade today. I pulled it home with my towbar and all went well. It pulled behind my F-150 supercrew with ease. I only had a 35-mile trip to make so I was tempted not to disconnect the driveshaft, but I did anyway. The only downside was one of the cups was frozen in place and when it did finally come loose the needle bearings went everywhere so a new U-joint is in the plans.

When I got home I checked the fluids and put a charger on the batteries. Fortunately one battery tested perfect under load once charged, but the other was DOA. I went up and got a new battery at TSC, and the M1028 fired up instantly without hesitation. It runs great. Since the rear driveshaft is disconnected I locked the hubs and put it in 4WD and put it in gear just to see if it would move and it does so the trans and transfer case are probably good, but more testing once the driveshaft is fixed will determine for sure. The body is in excellent shape. There is a dent in the passenger door and by the fuel door, but neither are that bad. The door dent looks like it might just push out. From a rust standpoint there is the begining of a future hole in the rocker below the drivers door but that's it besides a little surface rust here and there.

For those of you with the usual forklift damage to the driveshaft. Mine has 3-dings in the driveshaft. almost like it was hit with a hammer. I put a straight edge on it and it does not appear to be bent. Do you think the driveshaft will work alright with those dings?

Attachments

combat32

Nice truck, I am kinda wanting to get a 1008 that is stock.I like the lift on mine and the 37's but I am gettin old, it's like climbing into a deuce but harder:-D

Nice looking truck! [thumbzup]

I the Hazardous Materials placard on the front looks cool. Especially in conjunction with the yellow beacon. Does it have any of the hazard signs on it?

jets1959

You need to replace both batteries at the same time or it will kill your new battery very quickly. also change both U-joints in your drive shaft or you will be changing them again shortly. Just a heads up. Nice looking truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:driver:

GPrez

Nice looking truck! [thumbzup]

I the Hazardous Materials placard on the front looks cool. Especially in conjunction with the yellow beacon. Does it have any of the hazard signs on it?
Yes it does. There are several different ones that say "explosives" one that says "danger" and one that says "blasting agents". One of the ID plates on the tailgate says "ammo" so I guess it carried the fun stuff too and from the range. The beacon is not currently hooked up but it will be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks