• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plan so far:
A window AC unit over the cab.
Bunk beds on both sides with table in the middle.
Passeger side rear- dorm fridge, countertop, cabinets, and sink.
Drivers side rear- Furnace under a gun locker, portable toilet (for wife)

Things may move around windows a little.
I would love to really go all out, but I just want to get camping with the family and not spend the entire summer working on another truck.
That is why it will be simple.

Attachments

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Dan I would reverse the location of your sink and fridge. That way you can reach in and get a can of pop out of the fridge without having to get the ladder down every time you want in the fridge. Will you have it in a workable condition when you come out this simmer. We can make a trip to WY if you have it ready.

I have a nice dorm fridge you can have if you want it. It is a good one and brown in color. It is just sitting in the pole barn taking up space now.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good point Gene. I was thinking about mounting my greywater can on the rear mudflap for quick changes and if it overflows, so what.
Also tossing around the idea of infloor electric heat or some type of electric heat at electric camp sites.

This thing will be done the week it gets home.

Also contemplating cutting a hole behind the rear window and installing a boot between the cab and van body.

Gotta think that thru a little more. Would prevent me killing the kids with truck exhaust while driving and meet the communication requirement to be legal.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I thought about making a small door/opening between the cab and the box. I have spring ride seats in my truck so I would have a little bit of room to do it. And then putting a boot between the cab and box. Seeing how you have kids they could move around more if need be. And the mother bear could get to the back for some kid control action as needed.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene is that counter to a standard depth kitchen counter 25"?
What is the distance fron the top of the window to the ceiling?
What is the height of the window?
What is the distance from floor to window?
If I add all 3 numbers it should equal the wall height.

I figure 144" inside minius the 82" bunkbed leaves me with 62" for a counter, I'll keep it an even 60" to be safe.

I recall the clear inside width is 90"
30" wide bed
30" wide table
30" bed
Right?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just remembered. The inner front windshield in the REO's are 30 inches wide. And the GMC's windshields are 36 inches wide. That makes the GMC one foot wider in the cab than the REO. So you should have one more foot for use as a door to the back of the box. That should make a nice little door should you decide to do that.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good point. Even if I throw in another driver seat on the passenger side I will have 20" between them. I can pop one in about 20 minutes and have it look like it belongs. The boot may require some planning, but I can do that too.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene, I'm going to cut down the depth of that counter top to less than 25" so it does not go into the doorway. The clear inside width is 90". What are the dimensions of the back walls and doors?

Pass wall+pass back door+drivers dack door+drivers wall=90"

Thanks!

nattieleather

Looks like a good plan. I like the sink and fridge in Gene's pictures. I bathroom right by the back doors is a good idea also so that all you do is walk up the stairs and turn into toilet. It sounds like you should be able knock it out quickly to spend time camping. I know the truck looks great already will you need to do much mechanical work to it before you can enjoy your summer of fun and prove to the wife that it was a great investment for the family?

135gmc

If you want to smooth out the ride, think about balancing your front tires. After I balanced mine, my '135 would roll along real well at 55 (with occasional stops at gas pumps....).

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the support. I have to thank Maccus. He found it and led me to the truck. Truck's previous owner was a GM mechanic. Gene felt it was sound mechanically. Even all the lights work.

I plan on picking 1 more new batteries up today. Have 2 red seatbelts on the way from an Ebayer for $30 for the recovery.

I'll bring an extra belt, waterpump and generator for the trip. Whatever else I can think of.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here are the measurements you wanted. The measurement from the top of the window to the ceiling was made 4 inches out from the wall. The top is curved so it is hard to get a measurement that is correct all the way across the top. The difference between the measurements I have given and the 90 inch width of the inside of the box is due to small gaps between the back doors.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will eventually be 3 color camo. My goal is to get it home on April 1 and throw a couple home made bunk beds, some carpet and a counter top with cabinet and refrig below and go camping with the kids. As soon as I can save up a couple hundred for paint and get a few friends to scuff, I will paint it. Then after a few camping trips I will do a more quality camper conversion. Fortunately, I have realized I usually buy something and tear it apart and spend a couple years going overboard on things. My goal is to camp every day I possibly can with the family, then make the big changes next winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks