• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M220 soon to be camper

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few days off. Painted the frames. They have been drying for a week so they should be solid enough to run mew steel screen back in. I did the other 2 this summer and it went well. I sanded and repainted all the lights as well. I have 9 watt/60w led bulbs for the 6 110v lights. I will get some LEDs for the 24v lights too.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I replaced the screen on the last 4 frames. I used charcoal color aluminum screen and 0.140 diameter black spline. I tried the fiberglass but I could not get it tight. There were waves in the screens. The aluminum was much more forgiving. It stayed in the groove without the spline when rolling the other edges. I would suggest using the 0.160" spline. it would feel more secure when installing. I did not do pictures of every step because there are better videos on Youtube by professionals.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after the never ending fuel problem, the boys and I ripped everything out. Fuel tank, pump, lines, hoses and carburetor. I have done everything before over time with the result being ongoing problems I cannot count how many times it has been drained and cleaned. Gasoline is either milky or brown depending on how long it sits. We took a mercury outboard tank and started from there. Added a 6psi Ingersoll 24v pump and a fuel pressure regulator. New hoses to the carb a new filter and tore the carb apart again. Not road worthy yet, but we solved some problems. Surprise!

Tried fuel pressure at 3, 4 and 5 pounds. 4-5 seems best for us. She really moves along now.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not understand what is in my carburetor. When it is in the carb bowl its like a 1/4" layer of brown slimy oatmeal. I piled it on a board and it turned to a fine gray powder that reminds me of cement mix, a very fine powder. This is the third time, however I have not done the entire system at once before.
I would not be surprised if it was gas soluble and went thru the filter.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waxing or wanning

Looks like the stuff I'd dig out of my kids ears! I found a little in the carb I tore down but nothing like that. What did surprise me was the durability of the inside of some of the tanks I've opened. This is the inside of the tank on the partially burned truck and it gives some hope that the tanks can be cleaned out.

P6100011.jpgP6100010.jpgP6100009.jpg

I like the new set-up you've got on Red so that should eliminate future problems. Maybe we just need to drive them more.

SturmTyger380

We call that stuff in the Carb, Gummie bears. If you are using Ethanol gas it is the result of it absorbing water, evaporating from the bowl and turning bad. Are you using any gas additives?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the info. I use no gas additives. Until recently ethanol free gas was not readily available to me. A station was sold and the new owner offers ethanol free premium on one pump. It costs $.50 more, but it is worth it for anything that will sit for more than a week.
Right the original tank is on blocks in the yard. I need to come up with a permanent plan for the tank. I'm leaning toward the fuel cell.

1944mb

I do not understand what is in my carburetor. When it is in the carb bowl its like a 1/4" layer of brown slimy oatmeal. I piled it on a board and it turned to a fine gray powder that reminds me of cement mix, a very fine powder. This is the third time, however I have not done the entire system at once before.
I would not be surprised if it was gas soluble and went thru the filter.
I've never seen anything like that in any carb I've torn down. Might be worth fueling up somewhere else to see if it changes. I have had pretty good luck using seafoam in my fuel-Keeps the water out, supposedly cleans, and is a stabilizer.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I installed the rebuilt water pump and got her road worthy. Then a friend offered to haul it to its new home. Mustard is heading 30 miles up the road on top of the ridge where we own a small piece of property. Campsite!

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not slept there yet, but getting organized. We cut thru the pines to get into the back field. We also planted 325 trees this weekend. I'm going to get the winch driveline in this summer and drag some logs up the hill.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Yeller is on the way to her new home in Wyoming with Carboarius. It will be within a couple hundred miles from where we found her. A little brake fluid, a tap on the float bowl and she fired up and drove right up the ramps without missing a beat. Hopefully it will be unloaded in a couple days at her new home. I'm sad to see her go, but it I would like to focus my efforts on Old Red.
A couple spare front axle shafts found their way in the back before it left. I have a spare radiator and several more parts that will find a way out west in a few weeks...

Attachments

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Yeller is on the way to her new home in Wyoming with Carboarius. A couple spare front axle shafts found their way in the back before it left. I have a spare radiator and several more parts that will find a way out west in a few weeks...
Greatly appreciated sir. Truck's ETA is around noon tomorrow, expect pictures.

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck arrived Thursday at noon, had some trouble firing her up, but she is safe at her new home now. (Higher altitude, 95 degrees in the shade and missing a wire upon hooking up the batteries pretty much sums up the troubles...aua)
war wagon arriving.jpgwar wagon in shop.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks