• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M56B1 Contact Maintance Truck

txm37

Thought I would post up some pics of my new to me M56B1 Contact Maintenance truck. I actually picked up the truck in January and have been sitting on it till I had the time to start on it. The pics can be deceiving. There is almost 0 rust on it and none under it. In fact the original paint and undercoating under the truck are in good condition. After I power washed the body it became obvious why its so clean and rust free. Almost all of the original stenciling came out. The truck originally came from the White Sands Missile Range. Yes that was the stenciling WSMR. Instead of the usual star on the doors it read "contractor operated"
vehicle
LTV / LANCE WSMR NV

Deciphered It was assigned to the LTV corporation for work on the Lance missile system at White Sands. There is amazingly only two coats of paint on the truck and the stenciling was the same on both. Also the generator/welder has its own number on these trucks. That's the other bumper number on this truck. The motor turned freely so a rigged fuel supply and a jump from my M37 and it started right up. If actually runs smoother than my M37.

Currently I'm in the process of tearing it down and prepping it for paint. The brakes have been completely rebuilt and the motor pulled to be detailed with new gaskets the seals. It isn't leaking now but I know those old seals will give so easier to just do it now. I'll keep posting up the progress on the truck as I get things done on it.

Attachments

txm37

Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice find and in wonderful condition. It will be fun to watch your progress.

I look forward to your photos.

txm37

It doesn't have the upper doors. I did a little research and from what I found the earlier CMU-3 sets like this one had a canvas rear cover.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

txm37

Thanks,

Then I am headed down the right path with my reproduction mount.

Bert
No problem. I was going to do the same thing and make one for my M37/42. I already have two complete spotlights (less the mount). They just need bulbs. Let me know if you need a pic of a certain spot or anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks