• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" M923A2 is sitting in the driveway

Bluebeard

You can download the TM's for free here ;
TM's for the 939 series trucks

You should read this one before operating the truck ( it will save you a ton of money from improper stat up and shut down ,among other things ) ;
TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

Thanks for that, yeah those were the first things I have downloaded from the site. I guess I ought to sit down and read them now.

Thanks for the reminder.

ke5eua

Thanks for that, yeah those were the first things I have downloaded from the site. I guess I ought to sit down and read them now.

Thanks for the reminder.
They are a great read, put them on a kindle, ipad, or any other tablet and take them to the can. Read them as a bed time story to your wife, they will surly put her to sleep, lol

It's like watching the clear eyes commercial over and over and over.

Bluebeard

They are a great read, put them on a kindle, ipad, or any other tablet and take them to the can. Read them as a bed time story to your wife, they will surly put her to sleep, lol

It's like watching the clear eyes commercial over and over and over.
Oh boy, more sleepy time reading. Actually I did learn something really pertinent on this site.... apparently it is not a good thing to have a full load on it and be in all wheel drive and try to back up a hill. Apparently a lot of not so good things can happen. Is there any thread on this site that has a listing of "do's and don'ts" or perhaps people's experiences of the capabilities of these things. I have read a lot of info about the roll over potential, and I think a guy told me to get the smaller tires as it would help a lot.

ke5eua

Oh boy, more sleepy time reading. Actually I did learn something really pertinent on this site.... apparently it is not a good thing to have a full load on it and be in all wheel drive and try to back up a hill. Apparently a lot of not so good things can happen. Is there any thread on this site that has a listing of "do's and don'ts" or perhaps people's experiences of the capabilities of these things. I have read a lot of info about the roll over potential, and I think a guy told me to get the smaller tires as it would help a lot.
Safety Safety Safety, if you have to think is it a good idea, it isn't.

I remember when we convoyed from Kuwait to Iraq there was one little stretch that I swore I was going to loose my 934 expando. As a SPC / E-4 on my first deployment my pucker factor was already about a 8, on that little stretch I could have produced a diamond.

As far as backing up, up a hill with a full load. Don't do it in low, it is possible you will come intimately close with the inner workings of the transfer.

Bluebeard

I have a massive thunderhead parked above my property.... the truck is gassed up, filled up with water and I am waiting for any local lightning strikes. Something about our neighborhood and it's ability to "collect" lightning strikes. Bone dry brush and a drought to boot.... this could be an interesting summer. I may have to do the reading tonight after the clouds break up.

Bluebeard

Safety Safety Safety, if you have to think is it a good idea, it isn't.

I remember when we convoyed from Kuwait to Iraq there was one little stretch that I swore I was going to loose my 934 expando. As a SPC / E-4 on my first deployment my pucker factor was already about a 8, on that little stretch I could have produced a diamond.

As far as backing up, up a hill with a full load. Don't do it in low, it is possible you will come intimately close with the inner workings of the transfer.
Ke5eua- so you actually "worked" in one of these things? Is one of the criteria for being a driver, you being no taller than 6'2"? I barely fit in that thing and I cannot imagine going any distance driving in it. Why didn't they make the cab just a little bit bigger? What a rattle trap. Did they give you headsets to drive with?

ke5eua

Ke5eua- so you actually "worked" in one of these things? Is one of the criteria for being a driver, you being no taller than 6'2"? I barely fit in that thing and I cannot imagine going any distance driving in it. Why didn't they make the cab just a little bit bigger? What a rattle trap. Did they give you headsets to drive with?
My truck didn't have the vic system so no headsets, just shouting. In the army if it had wheels, I drove it. Everything from a CUCV to a HET (1070), and track vehicles.

Yep, they shake, rattle, and roll!

A lot of us love driving them, for me it's therapeutic, for the mind, not the back. As far as the size, gotta think when they were built, what was the average size of a joe then, I'm 5'7" and I am a little cramped.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not questioning your advice, but why would the "run flat" mode air up the tires? I would think it would let the air out. Either way I will try what you suggested to see if I can figure out where the leak is.
Like the others indicated it's a mode which cycles the CTIS more frequently and able to air up a completely flat tire when normal modes won't (without about 10psi in the tire).

Bluebeard

OK guys, I am reading the manuals and it says to bleed the in the "after" interval. My assumption is that you do that after each trip. In my situation, a "trip" is less than a mile or two. Do I bleed the air brakes everytime I turn the truck on? Or just after I travel for a certain distance?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're referring to bleeding the air out of the tanks, it's supposed to be daily when done driving(the four valves on the right side)....Can't say I've followed that, all my trucks have small leaks, they pretty much have no air by the next day anyway.

Scott88M

If you're referring to bleeding the air out of the tanks, it's supposed to be daily when done driving(the four valves on the right side)....Can't say I've followed that, all my trucks have small leaks, they pretty much have no air by the next day anyway.
Not sure if you're aware but you should still drain them at least once and awhile, water can slowly build up even if the air slowly leaks out.

MtnSnow

Since water normally collects in the tanks and the drain valves are/should be in the lower sections of the tank. So that when you do drain the air out of them the rush of the outgoing air pushes out any water that has built up in them. If I am driving several days in a row in low humidity I'll completely drain the tanks couple of days. If used during higher humidity days / winter time they are drained daily when putting it away for the night.

infidel got me

I noticed 2 of the four drain valve fittings on my 923 are leaking.The valves/fittings look to be similar to a radiator petcock drain.Can you replace just the valve part that you turn to bleed air out or do you have to replace the whole valve/fitting

74M35A2

I'm not a CTIS expert, but I do have a working system. Look at the flashing lights carefully, is it 4 or all 5? 4 is a low tire and 5 is a failed control module. CTIS doesn't work well at less than 120psi. Once you reach 120psi, press both lower red buttons simultaneously, it should start to inflate the flat tire. Your leak is likely the tire or rim seal, as the CTIS only inflates or deflates the tire, then the valve on the rim, if working correctly, isolates the tire pressure from the CTIS system. Normally, it checks tire pressure every 15 minutes. In run-flat, it checks every 15 seconds. Emergency button is a super-low psi setting if truck is totally stuck.

Again, search CTIS posts here and read the manual areas specific to what you need to know first. People want you to at least spend 15 minutes searching for your own answer, and at least within the posts, and respective area(s) of the manual. Do you have to read the entire manual? Not at first, but you'll for sure know more about the truck once you do. Tire and wheel weigh about 350-375lbs each.