• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M931A2 sitting at my home

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovered my M931A2 Friday and it is now sitting safely in my back yard beside my home.

I had gone up earlier in the week and verified all the fluids were topped off and check over everything I could before starting it up. Came back Friday to replace batteries and start it up so I could finish my safety checks. Between my first visit and my second it seems the owner of the truck next to me visited my truck. I know in the GL auction that the M923A2 beside me was missing two warning lamps in the dash, and when I returned Friday the same two on mine had been stolen, along with my -10 manual (which I did not take with me on the first visit because my payment had not cleared at that time. I should have just brought a lock moved it to a toolbox and locked it up. lesson learned.)

A group of guys recovering one of the LMTVs were having trouble and came over and spoke with me. I wasn't much help to them, but evidently the owner of the M923A2 had told them to go through all the cabs and see if they could find manuals, etc.

All in all, ordered new lens caps from Eriks along with some LED bulbs and new rubber seals (which were dried and cracked). So basically that person who stole them sold his honor fairly cheaply for the low, low cost of ~$12 bucks in parts.

Back to the fun:
My voltmeter was running low in the GL video but when I picked it up it was running in the red, and the ABS light was staying on. Based on information from others, the low batteries may have taken out the alternator and the alternator high voltage burned out my ABS controller. I will hook up my Fluke meter to see what the alternator is doing and I guess go from there.

The CTIS is also blinking on all 5 buttons so I will start running that to ground once I have everything else in order.

Beyond that the truck is in excellent shape. It has 53 hours and under 1300 miles since it's last rebuild. It has three MWO tags (272-20-8, 272-20-5?, and one more that I can't read) that have various 2009 dates, and all the filters and batteries were replaced in 2012. I have the batteries off and I am trying to recondition them now.

All the lights were good, the air brakes and parking brakes were good, all the other gages (oil, temps, etc.,) showed good. Trip home was a easy 30 mile on flat open highway to my area and blissfully uneventful.

Plan is to go through the truck and verify all the maintenance has been performed, change all the fluids and filters, and do something with the springer seats and possibly remove some leafs from the springs. My end goal is to mount my M109A3 shop box onto the back and create a very comfortable RV. Maybe not turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, but moving it as far as reasonable in that direction. :)

Oh and yes this was one of the trucks that went for too much at the Ft Worth, TX auction. My desire for a 5 ton got away from me, and I had dreams of a problem free truck from GL. Don't get me wrong, this looks like an awesome truck, but with patience I could have probably purchased at a more reasonable price in a future auction. What kills me is a member put their M932A2 up for sell the next week and I would have bought that truck hands down for less money and it already comes with a winch and working CTIS, if I remember correctly. You win some, you lose some... and some times you pay too much to win some. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to mention that I had one locked tool box (thankfully). Removed the lock yesterday and got some free toys with purchase.

A new jack, new chain hoist, new tool bag with new set of (very) basic tools, a lug nut breaker bar set, with one straight bar for the lug nut tool, and one that had a nice arch to it where someone definitely applies a cheater bar and a lot of muscle. :) Also had an air hose with chuck and glad hand, and a new in wrapper grease gun hose (no grease gun though :().

All in all a nice find. I wish they would lock all the tool boxes before sending them to GL.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Lucky guy, Of all the trucks I've won, Only my M35A3 had any real goodies. Did yours get a PTO in the rebuild? Do all your dash plate ID numbers match? Mine came with the controls and PTO from rebuild I presume. But I got the added "bonus" of having 3 different serial numbers, I have to have the frame sandblasted to find which one to title it under! What is the box with the line in the front shot?

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. Nope, no extra goodies, but it is a very clean truck save for the mentioned items.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks