• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" MEP002a in South America.

Chainbreaker

Just to be safe you should follow the cables that connect to the slave jump connector below the control box on the front. On one of my units the + wire was rubbing against the skid and it was frayed. It was just a matter of time before vibration wore through the rest of the insulation. That would have been a huge spark! So I completely removed the slave connector and cables since I had no use for it. Another possible failure point removed.

Macondo

Removing the slave connector and cables is a good idea. I think I'll do that to mine.

Good evening!

About the spark. The problem seems to be where the negative cable connect in the starter, is dirt so the is not good contact, if fact when I connect there was not spark, I turned the lights panel on and no light, them I move the cable in the starter and light goes on.
Thanks to your comments!!!

On the other hand when I started, again the quantitative of smoke is huge, also I think that I release the starter to soon but is not the reason to have excessive of smoke, I have no idea what's going on, is the third time I stared and happened the same ; once its warm, smooth ride and no smoke. Still vibrated, but I understand that is normal. The load dial move without and charge.
I'll load a video and post. Hope this time less mistakes.
Thanks to be there!
PD. Sorry for my poor English.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting about the smoke. Can you make sure the oil level is correct?

Can you tell if the smell of the smoke is oil or fuel? Exactly what color is the smoke?

Your english is fine!

Macondo

Interesting about the smoke. Can you make sure the oil level is correct?

Can you tell if the smell of the smoke is oil or fuel? Exactly what color is the smoke?

Your english is fine!
Thanks for your kinds words!
The oil level was ok before the start but after shutoff it, I checked (I waited more than 10 minutes) and it consumed oil. Smell? well...not easy answer a) fabulous raw diesel b) some oil. Color? looks more light blue than white "uncooked " diesel. I hope no piston rings broke or some thing worst.
In hour I post a video.
Thks.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blue smoke is oil. That along with the lower oil level isn't a good sign. You'll need to keep a very close watch on the oil level as you run it. Lets hope it stops consuming oil after you run it for a while.

I'll be looking to see the video when you post it.

jamawieb

I had one that burned oil once because the rings were stuck. After I loaded it at 100% for a few hours, the rings released and I never had another issue. I wish you the best of luck.

Macondo

Last week Chainbreaker wrote:

"6. Would be a good reference point to know what your outside air temperature is when running the unit. After running for a while are you getting any opening of the cooling shutters? I could not tell from the video and it probably needs to be run for a good 30 minutes with a load applied to really confirm that the shutters are functioning properly. They don't ever seem to move much (maybe an inch typically) unless it is above ~80 F and under load. So don't be alarmed if you don't see much movement until you really work it."

Today I confirmed that cooling shutters opens! Thank you.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that was a lot of smoke.

You need to find out how much load it will pull. Run it as hard as you can for 30 minutes then shut down and check the oil. Repeat as many times as you can and lets hope the oil consumption goes down.

jamawieb

At first start up, it really sounds like you have an injector pouring fuel into the cylinder. That would cause the smoke and account for the loud banging you hear the first 30 seconds. But since you've lost oil, I would check the valve clearance and then just run it with a load to see if it goes away.

Macondo

Wow, that was a lot of smoke.

You need to find out how much load it will pull. Run it as hard as you can for 30 minutes then shut down and check the oil. Repeat as many times as you can and lets hope the oil consumption goes down.
In deed a lot of smoke! Ok, I'll do the therapy for it, but the load will take a while until I find the materials to connect it to home properly.
Thanks you!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't run it very much without a load. I would spend the time to go over everything you can to make sure its mechanically OK. The advice about checking the valves is very good.

Do you have a copy of the manual that has the mechanical details?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like there is a "miss" in there too. I'd find an electric stove or other heating element to give it a work out.

Chainbreaker

Good job, much better video this time! I too agree with the advice to check out the valves and their settings since you have some time before hooking up to your house. Also, I wonder about the injector's pop-off settings. We have a member here "Storeman" who if you send your injectors to can check and adjust/tune your injectors if it points to be a problem in that direction. But I would first rule out the valves since that is something you can do. The stuck ring theory is also plausible since you say it seems to be using oil and no telling how long this unit sat before you purchased it. If running under load and it points to a stuck ring some ATF fluid or Marvel Mystery oil could be added to the diesel fuel and run under load to help unstick a ring.

Overall, you units looks to be in good shape. By the way, what is the year of Mfg of your unit? Didn't see any pictures or video of the nameplate/placard on side of control box.

Last edited:

rustystud

I would check out your injectors first. You have a bad miss going on. In fact I would bet one of your cylinders is not working at all right now. Get it running again, then loosen up one injector line at a time and see if the RPM drops. If it doesn't drop a lot then you have a bad injector. Or a dead cylinder, caused by the rings not working or a crack in the heads or a hole in a piston bad valves, or who knows what. The first thing though is to find out which cylinder is not making power, then figure out why.

Macondo

I wouldn't run it very much without a load. I would spend the time to go over everything you can to make sure its mechanically OK. The advice about checking the valves is very good.

Do you have a copy of the manual that has the mechanical details?
- I am not going to run much without load. Going to work with the valves this weekend and yes I have a copy of the manuals, I´m going to study it!!!
Thanks!