• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new (old) M1009 needs a new roof

gafuller01

I haven't been on SS in quite a while. A couple years back I sold my 1986 M1009 because I was given an offer that I couldn't refuse, and I regretted selling it as soon as it was gone. So, a couple weeks ago I found a nice 85 model on craigslist and decided it needed to come home with me. When I went to purchase this one, I looked it over pretty carefully for rust because my last 1009 needed all new floors and major roof repairs when I got it. This one looked pretty good, no rust on the floor or fenders, and only a couple small spots on the roof. Anyway, this evening I decided to start disassembling the truck to repair the rust spots and repaint, and upon removing the fiberglass cap I found massive amounts of rust between the cap and the cab roof:mad:. I started poking around with a screwdriver and discovered that the outer roof skin is pretty much completely rotten. I probably wouldn't tackle this much rust, except that the rest of the truck is so solid and rust free. I'm pretty good with a welder, so I am thinking that if I can get an outer roof skin I will remove the old one and weld in a new one. Does anyone have a parts truck with a solid roof that they are willing to part with? Or other suggestions for that matter? Thanks.
20160321_182948_resized.jpg20160321_182952_resized.jpg20160321_201109_resized.jpg20160321_201150_resized.jpg20160321_201210_resized.jpg20160321_201200_resized.jpg

cucvrus

Easy fix. find a nice roof and cut the 4 posts A & B pillars and remove the roof from the donor vehicle. Then cut some stick 1 x 3 lumber and measure/cut them wood pieces to fit the window door openings. (all jig pieces) Cut your old roof off at the A & B pillars and replace the entire roof assembly. The bright side of it is you have less rust, less body work and if strength concerns you slide flat bar in each post and weld it inside and set it on and use your sticks and measurements to get the openings correct. Weld it fast and you have 4 small areas of A & B pillars of body work to do and you have a nice roof and the rust on the other one can raise its next generation of Rusty's as not part of your new roof repair. Because fixing what you have now ill just keep coming back again and again. Good Luck. I have done this on several CUCV pick-ups and 1 M1009. I hope you have a place to do it it will come out nice. And the areas you do have to do body work on are very small in comparison to patching the entire roof. IMHO fit and finish will be better.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a parts truck in OKC that will be heading to the scraper soon. Using it as storage for now. Let me know if you are interested.

gafuller01

I have a parts truck in OKC that will be heading to the scraper soon. Using it as storage for now. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks. Would you be able or willing to cut the roof at the A and B pillars (like cucvrus mentioned doing) and shipping it to me? I am assuming that roof would still be able to ship ups or fedex (I don't know about weight though)... Let me know if you have the time/ inclination, and how much. Thanks.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a Florida truck. Rusts from the top down , instead of the bottom up like here in michigan.

davo727

Another shipping option is uship dot com. It is a deal where truckers will bid for your shipment that you post on the board. They are running other loads and if they have room to add your item they will offer you a price. I bet you get some good offers and Okla to Houston-Richmond shouldnt be hard to find something.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll chime in for Fastenal's 3rd Party Log program. I've received tailgates and rims shipped from halfway across the country for $150. They also do price matching/competitive pricing. Just make sure whatever it is, is on a pallet.

cucvrus

I seen this thread and I wanted to say I have a roof that I am cutting from a 1990 K 5 Blazer. I have seen many of the M1009's with bad rusty roofs. I am going to clip it and save it in my barn. Maybe never use it but I will still have it hanging around. Complete A and B pillar. I will post pictures later. Have a great day. I hate wasting these good parts this late in the game.