• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new project

Jimmy

The bed on my Deuce was pretty rusty so I bought a new style drop side one but it was too long for the frame so a friend of mine helped me stretch the axles to make it look right and carry a load better. Then I had to make a frame extension for everything to fit back into place. All I need now is a repaint.

Attachments

Jones

First-rate job!! Makes your truck look a lot better when things are more in proportion.
Great looking shop too; sure beats working in my driveway.

jeli

Would this make it an M35.5 or deuce and three quarters? Good job. How did the move go? What type of fasteners did you use?

Jimmy

Thanks for the comments. The shop is a definate perk and makes the big jobs much easier. I used grade 8 bolts throughout and with reinforceing the frame it should be as strong or stronger than before. I thought it was a 5 ton bed as well but I measured my 5 ton and the frame rails are much wider but are actually the same on the deuce. So I thought it was off of a 900 series truck? really not sure. I guess it would be a deuce and three quarters now, I hadn't thought about it.

halftrack

That is a Marine Corps 5 ton bed used on both 900 and 800 series trucks. The Marines switched all of thier 5 tons to this type of bed in order to put ISO type containers on them because of thier unique latching type system. I've been in the Marines for 12 yrs and I believe it is a Marine specific bed. I never seen any Army trucks with that type of bed.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good call Jason. My Navy M923A2 has the standard 5-ton bed Jimmy, but I have seen Marine Corps 939-series trucks with the ISO beds.

Jimmy

Thanks for the info, it is good to know. It is a really neat bed where the sides can lay down or come off and slide up inside the back for storage and it also has storage places built in for the bows and brackets. You can have a clean flat bed without any trouble or a troop carrier or carry your ISO container around. Whoever designed this bed did a great job.

PWM

Jimmy your truck looks great. With the rear axles slid back you could switch from the bed to a fifth wheel and back to the bed if you needed, kind of a multi purpose truck. You could build a set of removable bed jacks like on a camper to remove the bed. Just one of the crazy ideas I have had for my truck. Are your rear tires grooved, or did someone go crazy with a yellow crayon, I can’t tell. I have been thinking of grooving a set of tires to see if it helps traction.

Pete

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think you need some bigger tires to keep the proportions right. Looks like you did some nice work on it.

Jimmy

Pete,
Yes, all my tires a grooved, it does help with traction and looks cool to. I have a buddy that is into tractor pulling and all he talks about is grooving tires and how he can cheat and get away with it, LOL.

Ethan,
Yes, it would look better with bigger tires. Super Singles are on the way as soon as the money loosens up a little around here.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Jimmy

When I do the repaint they will get a coat as well but they arn't white they are desert tan, that doesn't make them look any better though.

Armada

Very nice work! It looks like it belongs there. With all that new cargo room to fill now, the trips to the Home Depot just got longer! ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks