• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New R2 Crash Truck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
You do know that the R2 doesn't use the same chassis as the M37, right - much less the lack of cab, not withstanding the fact that R2s are super rare - I can think of three restored examples. Moderately difficult, converting an R2 into a one-off custom. Truly difficult, making it look like it did when ACF-Brill finished it.

Regards,
David

CGarbee

If you want one, I have a spare M37 in the back yard that I'll trade for the R2... And I can arrange to have the M37 hauled to the GA rally if you wanted to make the swap...

bubba_got_you

Re: RE: My New R2 Crash Truck

devilman96 said:
Nope... Come on guys... You were giving me the same slack about my M35A2 and how I shouldnt bob it!!! If it was a M37 it would be the same... God forbid I ever find a duck or V100, V250 or V200!!!

Ive looked for over 3 years now for a M37... Found ONE within 700 miles... Called the guy, made a deal after only seeing one pic and lost it 20 mins later while standing in the bank to send the wire to him...

Believe me... It will look a lot BETTER when Im done!!!! Besides...its just a over done M37 as is, right?
I had one for sale not but 4 weeks ago here in Florida. I would be glad to help you find one within 700 miles so you don’t have to cut that up but each to his own is all I say if you want to do it then do it. I still have mine but it’s not for sale unless you are nuts and offer me more than its worth but you should be able to find one.

powerhouseduece

Re: RE: My New R2 Crash Truck

devilman96 said:
Nope... Come on guys... You were giving me the same slack about my M35A2 and how I shouldnt bob it!!! If it was a M37 it would be the same... God forbid I ever find a duck or V100, V250 or V200!!!

Ive looked for over 3 years now for a M37... Found ONE within 700 miles... Called the guy, made a deal after only seeing one pic and lost it 20 mins later while standing in the bank to send the wire to him...

Believe me... It will look a lot BETTER when Im done!!!! Besides...its just a over done M37 as is, right?
I say go for it!!! I think that your bobbed duece turned out great! cant wait to see what this is gonna look like

devilman96

What is the key for 73Y2? Isnt that a for a M880?...

He He He.... rofl

Man.. You guys are WAY TOO EASY!!! There are only a handful of these left in the world and ya think ME of all people would chop it???? I'd shoot someone for trying it!

But hey… Im counting at least 4 free M37’s out of my posting… So Give them up!!! I need one!!!! lol

Actually Lane PM'ed me this AM about looking at / possibly moving the truck if he were to buy it... I called the owner and went to look half interested in it myself... While looking I knew that if I didn’t buy it right then it would not last the day... As soon as we agreed on the sale a second party came up to see it and started trying to up the price on the truck to out buy me...

Any ways... I’m going to go pick it up over the weekend and haul it ehter to the shop or home. I dont know if I am going to keep it or if Lane is going to take it but it’s a rare piece that would be a awesome restoration process... At first i didn’t want it... but the more i thought about it... I think it would be a great addition to the oddity of a collection I have... Either way it’s totally up to Lane in the end, his find… and lucky so… the guy behind me wanted to put a small block it in so had I gotten there 25 minutes later it would have been toast…

So... Calm down... oh and you should all have guessed... When Kenny, Mike, Lane and myself are ALL in agreement at once... Something is seriously WRONG! LOL

citizensoldier

Whew! Thanks for spilling the beans! I was running out of ways to fire up the purist dudes.. We will work it out Mike.. Its safe and in good hands.. "did I say that out loud?" anyway that is all that matters for now.
Argyle could use a friend but he has made it this far alone.. So if you rather have a standard M37 I can find you one.
It sure brought out some deals on trucks accross the country! Good thinking ! Did I tell you about the WWII WC 63 I am going to lower and chop? rofl

LanceRobson

It's yours so you can do what you want.

However, it's a very rare machine and, particularly if the ladder and other accessories are there, it's more nearly a museum project than just about any other post-war MV.

My wife's middle brother started his Air Force career and a flight line fireman and more than once charged into a fire trying to save the aircrew. My former business partner did the same job in the Marine Corps and was twice cited for valor for rescuing aircrew in Viet Nam. They'd probably puke if they saw this thread.

I just pulled out the October, 2002 MV Mag and looked at David Doyle's article titled "Truck, Fire, Airplane, Forcible Entry, Type R-2"

He states the "magic number" at only 308 built.

He sums it all up better that I could. "The small number of R-2s produced, coupled with the fact that the R-2 bodies are made of aluminum and therefore, lent themselves to profitable scraping, resulted in only a handful of intact examples now known to exist. The scarcity, as well as the nobility of purpose, of these vehicles certainly makes them worthy preservation and restoration candidates. The few that remain are coveted not only by military vehicle collectors, but also by fire apparatus enthusiasts."

As regards bobbing a deuce, there were something like 63,000 of them made. I've got no problem with chopping some up. Might be doing one myself soon.

I really hope the R-2 stays intact and finds a good home with you or someone else and gets saved.

Lance

EDIT: Oops! I just re-read the thread and saw you post about it being safe! I think I'll pull my head out of my "fourth point of contact" and go put the soap box away.

citizensoldier

If he lets me have it, it will be restored and in a museum.. He says its up to me , but I have a feeling when he gets it back to his shop he might fall in love with it.. They have more room in the cab and ride better because of the long wheel base. I love the one I have already but gave up hope of ever finding the parts to replace the back that the Forest service cut off.. It only had 3000 miles on it when I got it.

citizensoldier

bigbee said:
Lane had me going when he suggested chopping it into a swamp buggy! I just thought he'd lost his mind entirely. I was almost ready to go steal ARGYLE and offer HIM up for trade!
To be honest you would not have made it to end of the drive to go trade anything! :D Around here we hang horse theives.. LOL... Plus I am one hell of a shot with the Garand... Blam !, Blam !, Blam !..,Blam !Blam !,Blam !..,Blam!,Blam ! TING !!! DEAD !

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offroadfabworks said:
devilman96 said:
All I wanna know is... Where did all of the FREE M37's disapear to?
Them things can just up and disappear easily

They dry up like the lawn, when the sun come up! :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks