• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me 1983 M923A1

Bulldogg

M923A1.jpgWell hear is my new to me 1983 M923A1 its my first ever military truck so I might have a lot of questions for help on it. It does need a little work but runs and drives like a champ. Once I throw my own style into it it will be a beast of a truck. Mostly will be used for farm work but of course Im going to play in the back forty with it!!! How many of you name your truck??? Could use some suggestions :-D

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first M923A1 is "Ironheade" with an E so they know we mean business. My second M923A1 is "Big R", and I have yet to name my M931A1....

Bulldogg

Thanks Im learning a lot from this site on my truck a lot of help hear!! Your right if could be plain M923 the GL just called it a M923A1 but Im happy with it lol I hope next week I cant post a pic of the truck and the trailer I just bought hahah

Gunzy

Welcome, it is just a M923, the 11.00X20 Goodyears are the give away. I have one just like it only it is camo. Have fun with it.

MtnSnow

The following pretty much holds true for the other M939 series trucks
M923 = 11.00x20 duals
M923A1 = 14.00x20 Super Singles
M923A2 = 14.00x20 Super Singles w/C.T.I.S

Bulldogg

Thanks to all for the help this is the first of hopefully many to come of trucks I know already I'm hooked and my buds are also to they all want one now!! Yea I'm learning the TM s and using the search option. Now I got one my gf is going to get one next year lol Also happy I got a M1061 to go behind it so also hitting up the trailer TMs

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bulldog,
Congrats on your new truck, equipped with the 11x20 XL Michelins , good tires. That will make a great farm truck.
I stock an spin on oil filter adapter kit for the NHC250, replaces the cartridge/canister assembly with commercial Fleetguard LF670 filter. All our 250s are equipped. Also change out the air dryer filter. These vehicle have sat for a while
and will benefit from a change out. Other than that check fluids and maybe change the trans filter (Fram 3519A) cheap insurance.
Have fun, read the manuals
Joe C

joesco

Congrats, my M931 Bob is a work in progress. He is known as ZEUS. My Bobbed Deuce was known as BRUTUS. My first mod was locking door handles and a keyed battery kill switch, then a Zerostart 1500 watt block heater, a must in NH and worth every penny of the $62.00 spent, next was step ($35.00) on the driver's side and last week a dual Baldwin Spin-on Fuel Filter setup. Now a modification to the modified suspension setup.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How many of you name your truck??? Could use some suggestions :grin:
I have named trucks in the past. My Freightliner was Rachael Dee and the last Peterbuilt I drove was Jessica (the first song I heard on the radio when I picked it up new). I haven't named the M927 yet, something will pop up one day and she'll have a name.

Bulldogg

Well I think it has a fram oil filter already I'll check tomorrow and I plan on changing oil and fuel filters along with the air filter and yes I'm rebuilding the air cleaner and replacing the air govner as well it airs up 150 psi. Is it OK to run 15-w40 oil in them? Its what we run in our farm tractors. I read the the owners manual front to back and side to side lol I'm not takeing any chances with it lol

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fram filter? is it on the passenger side? If so, that is the Transmission spin on filter. Easy to change but personally I would never use a fram filter. I sold parts for 20 years and fram has a bad rep and I have seen their filters cut open. Pure junk.

The oil filter is in a canister on the driver's side and impossible to brand until pulled.

Canister technology went out with the dinosaurs. Easy to change to spin on. Faster oil pressure and way better filtration. Search and you will find threads on it and where to buy cheap ~ $70. Check my build thread for pics.

Air filter is military surplus only. No aftermarket.

15w40 oil ok.

Check the air brake troubleshooting flow chart in the newer tm's I posted. Air governor is the most widely changed component that is usually NOT the problem.

Welcome to the madness! My truck is named for my daughter "Major Zippidy"

Gunzy

The following pretty much holds true for the other M939 series trucks
M923 = 11.00x20 duals
M923A1 = 14.00x20 Super Singles
M923A2 = 14.00x20 Super Singles w/C.T.I.S
A2s also have the 8.3 6CTA Cummins engine, all others have 855ci NHC250 Cummins.

Gunzy

Oh, and yes I have a name for my truck. I call it "The Brick Hauler" as it will sometimes haul a '75 Bricklin SV1 car, not bricks. Here is my truck and the Bricklin which also has the name of Kermie.Aggie Car Show 2008.jpgcamo 5.jpg

Bulldogg

Great names everyone!!! Thanks for the advice about the govner I don't quite know what it is but I build air pressure to 150psi and then the relief valve opens on main tank but I'll put the new ppv in because I needed it and air it up and check everything sorry about all the questions its just a new experience to me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks