• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new (to me) 85 M998 HMMWV

Edelbroke

1985 M998
Well, I've been looking for a LONG time for one of these. I found it only 2hrs away. The seller was a relative of the owner who was in his 70's and developed dementia. The odometer shows 42,000 miles. It was 8 degrees when I went there and I was suprised to see it fire right up from sitting. It's appears to be mostly original. I looked under the back passenger seat and found the first aid kit intact.
The only thing I had a problem with on the way home was turning on the headlights. I got the orange marker lights and tail lights to come on but not the headlights. The one switch labled "unlock" turns freely and doesnt seem like it's doing anything. I looked at the pdf manuals on this site and didnt see headlight instructions. I'm thinking i'll need to pull the switch out and see if all the wires are good. But otherwise I love it! Clear title and it appears to be an early production with a 0006XX vin. The first thing im going to do to it is take off the brush gaurd that's on it. It's home made. Trying to find an original but if I can't, I will copy the one off my M1008 but wider to fit the Humvee.
1985 M998 Humvee 005.jpg1985 M998 Humvee 008.jpg1985 M998 Humvee 014.jpg1985 M998 Humvee 015.jpg

Last edited:

ARYankee

Nice!! There probably isn't an issue with your switch. Those 3 lever light switches are a PITA when you aren't familiar with how they operate. I can't totally remember off the top of my head what position it needs to be in and unfortunately I don't have my MV handy to go look at either. But if I remember correctly, the top lever goes clockwise to the last position. It's second nature for me to turn the lights on now, no worries it will get that way for you as well. Welcome to the site!!!

Last edited:

Edelbroke

I only thing Im going to do that could be called an upgrade is a rim/tire swap. I have a brand new take off set of 24 bolt beadlocks with the BF Goodrich Baja tires.
After I get a correct brush gaurd on i'll be happy.

Attachments

GHall

Very cool! Hold the unlock switch up as in counter clockwise, while holding it up move the top switch all the way to the right, clockwise.. If it doesn't work after that you MAY need a new switch or a new high/Low beam switch. Check all connections/wires first before buying parts or get a hold of a test light..

Edelbroke

Thank you. I wish I wouldve known that yesterday. The lower right "unlock" switch now spins freely due to me pushing it a little too hard. Now i'm on the hunt for anouther switch.

GHall

Bummer.. Oh well, they're not too high. Ericksmilitarysupply.com should have them. I would suggest not getting the push button "cooler looking" switch because I have read where it shorts out and could cause a fire and or burn up your harness. Good luck!! Very cool ride and shoes (tires/wheels) you got there! Also, with the unlock switch broken, your brake lights and turn signals probably won't work.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice find, there are a lot of the original brush guards out there new in the box cheap. I picked one up last year in box with all the hardware for under a C note to put on a 880. Sorry don't remember where I got it.:doh:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool find. Being former Navy I like the tag.

Those switches are awesome aren't they? :)

Edelbroke

With Ghall's instruction on how to use the switch and a source for a replacement (I ordered one today from ericks military) I could be night driving by Wednesday!

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kascar does have everything, but it is all $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Think of them like the Memphis of the M35A2 world. Check with Beltfed34 on ebay. He has all sorts of goodies.

Lex_Ordo

I agree that Kascar is pricey, but they do have genuine USGI parts for the HMMWV. It is a good source to get the correct part if you are trying to remain prototypical.
Your new truck looks great! Good Luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks