• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me Gama Goat

Another Ahab

Man, you are BOOKING along there. Sounds like the RPM's were wound up pretty tight, but I couldn't catch which gauge on the dash was a tach:

- What kind of RPM's were you running at that road speed?

AMGeneral

Man, you are BOOKING along there. Sounds like the RPM's were wound up pretty tight, but I couldn't catch which gauge on the dash was a tach:

I "think" the 3-53s are governed to 2200 rpms(?) Detroits just sound that way normally.

As to the RPMS,no idea,Gama Goats never had tachometers,(to my knowledge anyway).

Sorry for the shaky video,evidently I have a tire out of balance on the tractor of the Goat.

Gamagoat1

2800 rpm

I "think" the 3-53s are governed to 2200 rpms(?) Detroits just sound that way normally.

As to the RPMS,no idea,Gama Goats never had tachometers,(to my knowledge anyway).

Sorry for the shaky video,evidently I have a tire out of balance on the tractor of the Goat.

AMGeneral

UPDATE....

Since I am off for Christmas and New Years,I have some time to work on the trucks again,yesterday was finishing the brake rebuild on the M54A1, today is alignment of the Gama Goat!

I concluded that it had 3 major issues...

Drivers side front negative camber/caster angles.

Passenger side front negative camber/caster angles.

Passenger side front toe out.

The Gama Goat uses shims on the lower control arm to adjust caster and camber angles,and a standard threaded tube w/locking nuts for toe in/out.

In my case I had to remove several shims from both sides to adjust caster/camber angles,and them measure and adjust toe in afterwards.

The right front was 1/4 inch toed out with all other steer tires in the straight ahead position,before I made any adjustments.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Don't know about RPM's but I remember Bill Strozier drove one up from Charleston to Ft. Jackson on a monthly basis back in the early 1980's, and he was keeping up with traffic (65 MPH speed limit).

wsucougarx

Any chance you can get a measurement for me? Just wondering what the distance is from the top of the engine cover to the top of the hardtop. I need to see if it's enough clearance to get in my garage. The cab soft top frame just clears the top of the garage.

AMGeneral

Any chance you can get a measurement for me? Just wondering what the distance is from the top of the engine cover to the top of the hardtop. I need to see if it's enough clearance to get in my garage. The cab soft top frame just clears the top of the garage.

Sorry it took so long Mike,I just now saw this post.

From the engine cover to the top of the hardtop is 21 inches,granted mine has the older style engine cover with the square corners vs the rounded ones.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry it took so long Mike,I just now saw this post.

From the engine cover to the top of the hardtop is 21 inches,granted mine has the older style engine cover with the square corners vs the rounded ones.
I thought the rounded ones were the older style.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,time once again to bring another thread to a close,

I loaded the M561 Gama Goat on a shipper this evening,bound for it's new owner in Arizona,hopefully he will enjoy it as much as I did the short time I owned it.
Wow. Lot of time and effort (and tires) went in to the 14 months you had it. I was hoping it might be re-united with it's brother at a show some time. I guess it'll be closer just not with someone I know.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Hopefully the ol' goat's new owner is a member of the site? AZ has perfect terrain for a goat to romp around in. Thanx for your help along the way AMGeneral.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks