• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new (to me) m35a2

rubicondsrv

I just had my M35a2 delivered to me yesterday. According to the bill of sale it is an 1976 am general model, though the dataplate in it still says jeep general products. It seems mechanically sound, and has steer tires up front and military NDT on the rear. So far all I have done is remove the dead batteries and the rusted out battery and picked up trash left in it.

IMGP0326 (Custom).jpgIMGP0320 (Custom).jpgIMGP0318 (Custom).jpg

rubicondsrv

I think the first thing I will do is get a plastic battery box and put good batteries in it to see if it will start. The brake pedal has no resistance, so there is a brake problem and I will not put it in gear until that is corrected. I think I can get it registered on antique plates for now once I get the title, but once it is working well I may switch it to normal plates so I can use it for hire locally. The missing bumper is in the bed with damage from a collision, but I think I may have it straightened and welded unless I can find a replacement locally.

How common was it for trucks to be equipped with winch at some point but have a wo/w dataplate? It has the controls for a winch in the cab, but no winch is present and it is a wo/w dataplate. It also has the hot water heater kit installed, but that is currently serving as a home for wasps.

gungearz

Good luck and welcome to steel soldiers.... people pull winches and take off winches all the time... someone could've put a winch on a non winch truck and reverse swapped before they sold it.... are you sure it's the winch lever instead of the hi-lo range....?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
According to the bill of sale it is an 1976 am general model, though the dataplate in it still says jeep general products.
Give us the first 4 digits of the VIN and we'll tell you which it really is.

How common was it for trucks to be equipped with winch at some point but have a wo/w dataplate? It has the controls for a winch in the cab, but no winch is present and it is a wo/w dataplate. It also has the hot water heater kit installed, but that is currently serving as a home for wasps.
Wasps love army trucks.

Only about 15% of M44's were ordered by the military with winches and none would have left the factory with a winch but a non-winch dataplate.

So you have:

A. A non winch truck someone, either the military or a private owner, added a winch to and they didn't change the dataplate.
B. The truck is winch truck which has had the cab or dataplate replaced.

Some years VINs refix will tell if it was a winch or non winch model, but it's been awhile since I read the thread and don't have the specifics committed to memory.

rubicondsrv

Give us the first 4 digits of the VIN and we'll tell you which it really is.

Some years VINs refix will tell if it was a winch or non winch model, but it's been awhile since I read the thread and don't have the specifics committed to memory.

vin is 0525 19860 on the frame, and matches the dataplate.

The cab also has all the winch related tags on it, so it must have been convereted by either DOD, USDA, or the fire dept USDA loaned it to.

rubicondsrv

It runs, It will not shut off and has fuel in the oil, but it starts and idles with nothing but 2 new batteries. I think I will be capping the fording intake on the air filter housing, since I had to block it with a folded up catalog to stop the engine when the cutoff failed to produce results.

I think the shutoff cable may be broken or stretched, the handle can be pulled out to stop, but the cutoff itself seems to be stuck. I will have to remove the heater to get better access to try and free it. When i checked the oil it was about 4 inches high and smelled like fuel so it is contaminated from somewhere. according to a tag on the truck FDC bypass has been done, but I will check to confirm that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks