• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me M38a1

misupratwin

Hi guys, I just bought my first M38. It needs lots of work, Fair amount of rust in the floorboards. It has been switched to 12v, the dash was also changed, So I don't have any data plates and the one on the fender is also missing.I know the wheels are wrong as is the top. I will have plenty of questions and a big parts lists.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That M38A1 has so much CJ5 stuff on it that it must have forgotten it was in the army at one time. Looks solid though.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your M38A1! Looks pretty solid, are you going to make it original?

I've been thinking about starting a "what did you do to your Jeep today/this weekend?" thread.

FrankUSMC

Wish you were closer, I have two parts jeeps that are more complete than the one you are working on. Good luck on it, the good part is, it looks like the tailgate is still there and uncut.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

misupratwin

Sigo , Yes I plan on getting it back to original, I like projects. I have been bittin by the green bug this is my 5th MV.

Frank I sure would be interested in some of those parts, Would you be willing to sell parts ?

mutt1966

If that is a fiberglass top and you have the doors you mite make some money off selling that they are kinda rare when they fit the Early CJ5 body just looking from the pics you need a Gas Tank, Radiator, 24 Volt electrics, I think its the right grill front steering components replaced because when you see a steering stabilizer they are usually shot and there is a piece of flat steel welded to the frame in front of the front crossover? oh and a dash board.... If you need any help give me a shout. Scott O&O

misupratwin

Mutt1966 , It is a fiberglass top I did get both front doors, No Back door though, It does fit this body. The grille is wrong it has the big bolt in the center and I have hinges on the frame. The piece on the frame is a 2x2 angle that's been welded for some reason.

On a good note, I did get it to run today with a jump pack hooked to the cables and to the coil, Jumper wire the solenoid and a squirt of gas in the carb. It fired up after 2 revolutions. I was amazed it's been sitting for years. Got it on the hoist and ran it though the gears and everything works in the driveline, Hi, low, 2wd and 4wd.

Now it's just a matter of finding parts. Is there a cross reference of part numbers for brake parts, Belts, U-joints, steering parts ?

mutt1966

I would use Midwest Military they are big on M38A1 parts and they know there stuff and they are close to you for shipping...Scott O&O

misupratwin

Since my last post I have the engine on the floor almost ready to go to the machine shop. (Broken exhaust stud). The number 4 rod bearing was completely missing. I also have the body off. I forgot to take a few pictures of that, Will get some soon.

I also made progress on removing the dozen or so broken bolts that someone left me. I could use some picture of how the rear seat is mounted and what the mounts look like and how the spare tire carrier is mounted.

I found a grille, Still looking for Data plates, Dash panel, And 24v stuff. I need all kinds of small parts. Thanks , Tim.

Attachments

misupratwin

So after a week this is where my project is at, The body is off the frame, Engine is at the machine shop. After work I spend an hour or two wire wheeling the frame. And spraying rust treatment on it. The rear cross member has been hit on both sides and the left is split at the rivets. Here's a few more pictures.

Does someone have good close-up pictures of the pintle Mine has a civy hitch welded to a plate. Thank you , Tim.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I might have a dash panel. If you don't hear from me within a week or two, remind me.

61sleepercab

Looks like you are doing a good job on your project Jeep.I have two sayings that apply to projects:

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY! Take your time do things right the first time and do not think a restoration is a one week wonder job.

A JEEP IS LIKE A BATTLESHIP DO NOT POLISH THE BRASS WHEN YOU ARE SINKING FROM HOLES IN THE HULL Cover the basics, steering, stopping, and safety of the project before worrying about the little details, Do not short on frame repair, steering components, brake shoes while you have the Jeep torn down.

Looks like a good Jeep to revive and restore, take it slow and take lots of pictures for your build book. Mark

misupratwin

Just a little update I have been spending my time sandblasting some small parts, Also blasted the rear springs, They were so rusty that they were starting to spread apart.
I ended up painting the springs with graphite coating. I have the rear axle ,front bumper (civy ) and gas tank waiting to be sandblasted and painted.

I wire brushed and sanded the frame and brushed it with Chassis saver, Still need a coat of OD green . I found grade 9 hardware on sale 80% off So I bought a few hundred worth of it, All fine thread, Top lock nuts.

I have found and bought most of the major parts, I now have the Distributor , Dash , NOS Grille , Cluster , Data plates , Battery trays , Front lift shackle mounts , Generator , Gas tank.
Still need a Starter, Front Lift shackles , Spark plug wires , Blackout light bracket. I'm sure I'm missing other things.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Just a little update I have been spending my time sandblasting some small parts, Also blasted the rear springs, They were so rusty that they were starting to spread apart.
I ended up painting the springs with graphite coating. I have the rear axle ,front bumper (civy ) and gas tank waiting to be sandblasted and painted.

I wire brushed and sanded the frame and brushed it with Chassis saver, Still need a coat of OD green . I found grade 9 hardware on sale 80% off So I bought a few hundred worth of it, All fine thread, Top lock nuts.

I have found and bought most of the major parts, I now have the Distributor , Dash , NOS Grille , Cluster , Data plates , Battery trays , Front lift shackle mounts , Generator , Gas tank.
Still need a Starter, Front Lift shackles , Spark plug wires , Blackout light bracket. I'm sure I'm missing other things.
Seen oil/ graphite mixes for locksmithing, etc. but don't recall seeing product that can be "painted" on:

- Something you can purchase in cans (pints/ quarts)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks