• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Toy... HMMWV

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your rims are not rated for radial tires, so consider that if you choose to go to modern radial tires.

DCIV

Cool cookville is far from me, I can handle that pick up instead of shipping.

Your rims are not rated for radial tires, so consider that if you choose to go to modern radial tires.
Soooo, are you saying they will not work? Or just don't do it?

Mine is bouncing ALOT at 40mph and I'm sure it's the old tires, I want to make the right call and correct tire. It will be way more on road than off and I want to be able to go 55mph without tires going nuts. But I want to it to go well in the snow as well.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radial rims are 12 bolt for early radials or 24 bolt for later models. The newest are 24 bolt in staggered pattern of 2.

Difference is the load capacity. As trucks got heavier with armour, load ratings had to go up. Newest ones are around 14k.

Bfg bajas are what I use and very happy with them on city and highway and the plain dirt roads I occasionally drive on.

I have d rated but newest are e rated for the 24 bolt staggered.

There is also a good year d and e wrangler radials. I find they have a much stiffer sidewall for off road and rocky terrain. I suspect they ride harder on road/pavement.

nspctr1

SO, Not to hijack but, how can you tell he doesn't have radial tires? I can't see squat in the pics. Could be my computer but,,,, Wanna make sure I am not running in to the same situation as my rig bounces at about 45 mph also. I checked front end, etc but can't find anything out of whack.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO, Not to hijack but, how can you tell he doesn't have radial tires? I can't see squat in the pics. Could be my computer but,,,, Wanna make sure I am not running in to the same situation as my rig bounces at about 45 mph also. I checked front end, etc but can't find anything out of whack.
8 bolt rims are for bias only.

First picture from front shows the tread clearly. They have a different tread pattern with a center rib than the goodyear radial angled blocks on mt

Things to look at for bounce is tire pressure, shocks?, worn suspension components?

Last edited:

nspctr1

8 bolt rims are for bias only.

First picture from front shows the thread clearly. They have a different tread pattern with a center rib than the goodyear radial angled blocks on mt

Things to look at for bounce is tire pressure, shocks?, worn suspension components?
I know this is a touchy subject but, I don't drive this off road, I maintain about 35 psi in ea tire. Is that too low? Should I bump it to 45psi? Someone told me a while back that if the tire was under inflated that the run flat could not "situate" itself in the tire and cause a bounce. Could that be it? Suspension feels good, shocks etc but I will double/triple check. Thx

suzukovich

Another reason to change out. The old bias ply are 36 vs the radials are 37s. Next very hard now to find replacement tires. Another thing to consider is the bias tyres flat spot when sitting for a while and will also bounce at speed. Upgrade to the radials as it will ride better.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a touchy subject but, I don't drive this off road, I maintain about 35 psi in ea tire. Is that too low? Should I bump it to 45psi? Someone told me a while back that if the tire was under inflated that the run flat could not "situate" itself in the tire and cause a bounce. Could that be it? Suspension feels good, shocks etc but I will double/triple check. Thx
I am thinking you need less air not more? OE , they were pretty low air pressures on them.

Mine are balanced but when first run up on highway speed cold, they like a mile or two to get happy and then settle down just fine.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

DCIV

I think I have the newer style wheel (thread starter didn't) so all I need are tires! That's a bad ass picture! Thank you.

Skinner23

Can't thank you guys enough for all the info! I've been wondering about the tires that came on it but wasn't a priority since the tread was decent. I'll be looking to make a change sooner rather than later now. Here are a few pics of what I'm running now that came on it since you couldn't really see them that well in the original pics. Also, what's the little thing in the center of the wheel. Looks like you would attach something to it maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk