• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new trailer

bucksnort59

I pulled it home with a pintle hitch with an adapter. I should have got the 12" adapter instead of the 8" one. I'll be getting new springs on the Xterra this Spring so that'll bump it up another 2".
Pulled it 130 miles home with no problems.

bucksnort59

I could swear when I picked it up yesterday and swung the front leg up that it had a round foot on the bottom of the leg. Unhooking it today I noticed there's just a square end of the square tube. Looked inside the tube and it looks like something slides in there but I don't see any hole to hold a "foot" on. I hope it didn't fall off in transit and somebody run over it. Do the legs have "feet" on them????

I could swear when I picked it up yesterday and swung the front leg up that it had a round foot on the bottom of the leg. Unhooking it today I noticed there's just a square end of the square tube. Looked inside the tube and it looks like something slides in there but I don't see any hole to hold a "foot" on. I hope it didn't fall off in transit and somebody run over it. Do the legs have "feet" on them????

Post a picture of it. sounds almost like you had an adjustable leg.

LIke the one in this thread?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/61768-m101a2-home-made-adjustable-leg-handle.html#post727888

Last edited:

bucksnort59

On the side is what looks like a detachable handle secured with a clip pin. If this is an adjustable leg, what holds the lower portion with the pad from slipping out?
I never thought this would fall out on the way home. The GL guy picked it up with the big forklift and bought it over to the cleared out parking lot and set it down. Maybe it was just froze into the top part and going down the road it shook loose.
I hope someone didn't hit it in the road.

Attachments

Yep, the bottom part fell off. How? Don't know.

But if you could take the handle off a get some detailed pictures of it with measurements or a ruler next to it I would appreciate it. I need the lengths of handles, flat piece and thicknesses/ diameters.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Figures this comes up now! I would offer to take mine off to show what is missing, but its snowing pretty good right now. If it lets up, I will see if I can get some assembly pics.

storeman

there should have been a crank handle that removes and mounts separately on the trailer frame (if i remember correctly.) then there is the adjustable lower piece with round pad. I don't know how the adjustable mechanism is held in place and my trailer is 900 miles away. that id the landing leg used on the m101a3.
jerry :?

DavidB

Yes you lost the lower parts of the landing gear.If you are this direction from McCoy I have some here to look at and see whats gone also if you wish to lower the towing height you can change tires.
DavidB

bucksnort59

Yes you lost the lower parts of the landing gear.If you are this direction from McCoy I have some here to look at and see whats gone also if you wish to lower the towing height you can change tires.
DavidB
I live just North of Madison so if you're close maybe we could meet up sometime.
I took what's left off and took it apart to see what went wrong. I suspect the trailer was "dropped" too hard on it's landing gear at some point.
The guts look like what would be in a civilian trailer leg from say Atwood or such.
It has a set of gears that attached to a shaft that connected to the lower leg assembly. It appears the c-clip holding the end of the lower shaft came off allowing the lower parts to come off. There was a brass bushing in the gear box that was shattered. This was the bushing for the lower shaft, not where the horizontal crank shaft rides.
Yea it's a bummer. I could spend $50 in gas and see if it's on the side of the road between McCoy and LaCrosse but I doubt my success rate would be worth it. I just hope someone didn't run over it on the road and hurt their car.

I hope no one else has this problem and maybe it would be another thing to check when you p/u your trailer. Next time I'd give the landing leg plate a good kick with my foot to make sure it's secure.

I see that there's one on sleazebay for $100 + shipping but for $30 I could buy a clamp on leg with a wheel (Sorry purist's). I was thinking of getting a 2 1/4x 2 1/4 piece of tube that would slide up there and weld a foot on and bolt the new tube to the old leg. While not adjustable it'd work.

Here's some photos of the crank handle. It looks fairly easy to whip something up that'd work.

Attachments

there should have been a crank handle that removes and mounts separately on the trailer frame (if i remember correctly.) then there is the adjustable lower piece with round pad. I don't know how the adjustable mechanism is held in place and my trailer is 900 miles away. that id the landing leg used on the m101a3.
jerry :?
The crank handle mounts to the landing leg on mine and the other ones I have seen.

My guess it that there is a big threaded rod in there and it was all the way out so it was at the upper most height possible. But, I don't know and my trailer is full of wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks