• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new truck

weldergonecrazy

Well, I'v been home for a couple of months, but am just now getting around to posting pictures of my new M1008. I bought it from a GL auction in Florida, and had a friend of mine pick it up for me. It turned out to be in better shape than I thought... the only rust on the whole truck is the inner fender where the batteries bled out. Hopefully i'll start sanding it right after christmas and get it painted and powdercoated. I have a friend who has a powdercoating business, so I'll get the bumper and grill guard done in a satin black, and paint the rest of the truck green (close to the color it is now, but in a gloss finish) then the bed and in the cab will be spray in bed liner. I lucked out, because I do some work for a couple of friends who have a sign business, and in exchange they will buy paint and supplies for me. I think it's a pretty good deal, and I get to use their paint booth and equipment on the week end. I am also going to do a wvo conversion. I bought a 4x8 sheet of aluminum to build the tank, and should have that welded up shortly. I am thinking of an alternate method for heating the fuel, and would welcome any input. I am planning to run a 1" fuel line from the aux tank to a heat exchanger located on the inner fender well. This way I don't have to heat the entire aux tank, and the large fuel line should flow enough unheated wvo to the heat exchanger. I think this should simplify the fabrication of the tank and associated plumbing. I will also paint the tank satin black, this way it will match the other accessories, and provide some heat for the fuel in the florida sun. Of course I will use a fuel selector valve, so start up and shut down will be on the main diesel tank. I am also selling the canvas top and troop seats if any one is interrested, they are in the classified section.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, nice truck neighbor. Congrats on your purchase. What location did it come from?

alphadeltaromeo

Make sure you get lots of pics along the way...like the tank welding, etc. Looking forward to seeing your progress and welcome...plus lovely new truck!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks great, shoot I'd be happy with a 1008 that looks that good! :beer:

weldergonecrazy

The truck came from Pensacola, in an auction several months back. I sent in the paperwork to get the SF 97 form, oh, about six weeks ago, and still havn't gotten my paperwork yet. I called them and was informed that the people in that department only work three days a week, and that they should get to processing mine in about two weeks...that was two weeks ago. as far as the aux tank goes, I will be sure go get a lot of pictures. It will be the width of the bed, twenty inches tall, and six inches deep, that should give me about thirty gallons. I found a pretty nice aluminum weld in fuel bung on e-bay...I should have about $250 in the tank when I'm done. I priced a couple of in bed tanks at tractor supply tonight, but thought that $500 plus was a little too much... I thought that they were built a little on the light side too. I think thiers were made of .090" material... mine will be .177". Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you guys getting?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks