• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new uh-1e marine helo.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lucky people. The only part of a 53 (or Huey) that ever survives a fire is the rotor and engine guts. Everything burns or melts. My avatar is us taking off from Yuma I took the picture) on our way out to the range to play...er..exercise.

What year was that?

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I'm guessing 1987 maybe 88. It was February or March.

Nothing beats spending a balmy June out at Site 50 in the Barry Goldwater Air Force Range in (Wellton, AZ). The moon is probably more hospitable.

Crank

I'm wondering how a balmy June day is gonna feel in the deserts of Afghanistan. It'll be my first and last deployment, I've been working on 22's since I came in at a training squadron, then once 365 stood down as a HMM(CH-46E), and stood up as an VMM I've been working there, April 1, 2009, was when we got initial personnel, and Mid June of this year will be the first deployment as VMM-365. Spend some time in the dirt, then head back to Kentucky to finally live with my wife. The things I've done in the Marines, while not that noteworthy, are the things I'll remember for the rest of my life!

And speaking of aircraft fires, and nothing left, don't look at a 22 that has been on fire, Carbon fiber bubbled everywhere, or just melted into a big heaping, terrible for you, blob.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
hey Guys,
New info on my Huey..Looks like it is a ACE OF SPADES ship..

UH-1E 151858 was accepted on charge at Fort Worth on the 1st of June 1965
Taken on charge by VMO-1 at New River, 9th of June 1965.
Taken on charge by VMO-5, Camp Pendleton, 16th Feb 1967.
Redesignated HML-267, Camp Pendleton, 15th March 1968.
To VMO-6, Futenma 8 November 1970.
To HML-267 Camp Pendleton 22 April 1971. Coded "UV-10"
Into Storage at Davis Monthan, 30 April 1976. TT 3583 hours.
To Corpus Christi Army Depot, 19 August 1980.
To HT-18, Whiting Field, 22 December 1980.
To COMTRAWING, Pensacola, 10th January 1982. Coded "E-189"
Into storage at Davis Monthan, 24th August 1983.
Struck off charge, 25th August 1983, Total time 4390 hours.
Sold to Western International Aviation, Tucson, June 1986

Kevin..

Ewa Marine

There is a book....
Naval and Marine Corps Aircraft paint schemes 1960's to current....by schiffer books...
The author is a Marine Major ret.

In the back of the book there are PAINT CHIPS WITH THE CORRECT FS Green for a particular era.
My other suggestion is to go and find the guys fling restored UH-34s in Marine markings...I have seen these helos and they have that correct shade of Marine green...

Better yet call up the National Museum of Naval Aviation OR the National Museum of the Marine Corps and get someone on the phone that can give you the spec sheet and the blue print for the paint scheme used by the MC.

Marine UH-1E's DID NOT mount the fifty..they had a M-60 (not a spade handled one either...just a regular one) mounted on a swivled mount that swung out and back so you could get access for loading unfettered...

SF
Brad
Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

Ewa Marine

Capt Steven Pless was awarded the CMOH for flying a E model....He is buried at NAS Pensacola at the Barrancas national cemetary there...killed in a motorcycle accident when he got back from Vietnam...

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the paint info. I got the correct military colors and bought the correct paint. Boy is it expensive. $2,000.00 for just the materials. I decided top mount just the M60s like you said. I will update this thread with some pics as i repaint it. Its pretty big when repainting. Gun mounts wont be ready for a another month. I will be at aberdeen if anyone wants to check it out..
Kevin..

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics! Good luck with the paint job! Would be awesome to fly again, but alas,,,,,,,,,, Good luck and God speed on you project!! INCREDIBLE!
God bless,

Tony:grin:

gunboy1656

Went past my local airport the other day, They have a couple trailers I am buying, and I took a drive around......they have a UH-1 with the same markings.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the paint info. I got the correct military colors and bought the correct paint. Boy is it expensive. $2,000.00 for just the materials. I decided top mount just the M60s like you said. I will update this thread with some pics as i repaint it. Its pretty big when repainting. Gun mounts wont be ready for a another month. I will be at aberdeen if anyone wants to check it out..
Kevin..
If I may ask, what kind of paint did you get? Looks like you've started scuffing the paint. Most of the aircraft gloss paints only need the scuffing. I painted the static F model at Malmstrom AFB and thats all I needed to do. It's been 12 years since then and the paint seems to be holding up. Good luck, that's one hard job! Couldn't finish an email without some kind of warning...if its Imron (sp?), beware...has been known to cause three headed babies and other nasty medical mutations.:drool:

Send pictures when you're done, please!?!?!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
couple pics to wet your interest. More to follow as we get closer.
Yes, no imron, single stage PPG..had to convert the military number to get it in PPG. Used a Sealer, then paint..Send some pics of the one you did..!
The paint is the orginal color when delivered from Bell.
More painting tomorrow..
Kevin..

Attachments

Last edited:

toptiger

Hard to tell but it struck me that this aircraft had a hard landing, spreading the skids out. Might be the photos but sure looks like spread gear. {old Charlie model pilot}

Ewa Marine

The skid crosstubes are different on this version of the Huey...D's and H's sit higher at the front n sit tail low...
some skids for the L's and E's actually sit tail high...nose low.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ewa Marine, the bird in your picture is at Pensacola and is a Navy bird from HAL 5, if my memory serves me correctly. I saw it several years ago when it was first painted and it had a high gloss finish. We had a 53 when I got to my first base going to get the dull paint job. This gloss looks a lot like that one did but my memeory is 30 years old, so might be a bit fuzzy. Might check a pic of one of HMX-1s green birds, looks pretty close. X number of years in the florida sun will dull the paint job. Same thing happened to the AFSOC H-1 at Hurlburt (20th SOS, Green Hornets). The skids do look spread, the dimension "should" be around 95 inches plus/minus. This being an E model, similar to our F and P models, I think the gear remained the same. Difference being the E's got worked hard. Our F's got it fairly easy, the P's got the crap flown out of them both in Vietnam (I was told this by a P model crew chief who worked with some of those pilots after the war) and after the war (same crew chief). But the E's definitely got the hardest deal, at least according to the histories I've read about the War
TopTiger...take alook at that main rotor please. There's way to much pitch it that thing for something sitting one the ground...somethings missing. Servo connection???
jeffhuey1n

Attachments

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Made it to Aberdeen Maryland for the Blue & Grey Show. Dispointed they dident have a aviation class for me! Maybe next year. The Helo was a Hit, always a crowd around her. Had to stop kids from bounceing the blades up and down by pulling on the tie downs. When i asked the parents to stop them, they replied that they pay taxes...I told them its now private property, and i can send them a bill with a note from my lawer if they like. They yelled at them, and walked away..Owell..Otherwise great 3 days.
I even got the 16 ammo cans and holder for a gun ship and also the end seats for the gunner. Also got a strap that goes around the gunners chest and clips to the bulkhead..Thought I would never see that stuff at a show!.
Now if i can find the Flex site I would be overjoyed!.
More pics will follow later..THanks again for all the help!.
Kevin in MAryland..
ps, maybe see you guys at the shows comming up..
PSS././ The color is correct for an inhouse bird. Talked to Bell Helicopter matiance and legel department and both assured me this was the correct color. They send me pictures of as issued ones in 1965 that look the same. I had the military colors converted to PPG paint and checked with their historical department and is "supposed to be correct" has a couple marines pilots tell me it was as they remembered it sooo...too late now..After spending $2000 in just paint, it will have to do..maybe i will park it in the sun for a few years!..Looks darker when its overcast..might have lost something in the conversion. Decided not to use the hi performace $$expensive paint. Maybe that was it..Owell, still looks good..
some pics..
Kevin..

Attachments

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Correct paint or not I think it looks great.

Since you are not going to be flying this, can you make some type of tie down for the rotors that connects to the top of the air frame? It would make it out of the reach of most people, and use the normal tie downs your using for transport.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks