• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My NTM M127A2C

jasonjc

Well I had a good recovery to day. The trailer is in good shap for its age (63). The deck is shoot they had nailed (100's) plywood down over the deck. Not much of that left now:whistle:.
The tail lights look like new just the old style, they even worked. A few of the marker lights worked also. It has the 8 big "D" rings on the deck and 19 small round eye's on the sides between the rub rail and side of the deck.

The M818 ran great untill the shut off selenoid started leaking againg and then it would shut off the fuel when I hit big pot holes. So I just truned in the screw and kept on trucking. It rained most of the way there and part of the way back. The windshield leaks bad, so cold and wet;-) but better than going to work. I drive a school bus and they forgot to get a sub driver for me this morning:whistle: so oops.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Glad to see all went well. The trailer sure does look good behind the m818, can't wait to get one next year, if there are any left by then to be had.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say restore it - it looks too good to scrap it out. That decking can be replaced easily, get some rough cut oak or locust boards from a local sawmill and do the resto yourself....

jasonjc

I say restore it - it looks too good to scrap it out. That decking can be replaced easily, get some rough cut oak or locust boards from a local sawmill and do the resto yourself....

YES YES it will be restored one of these days. The frame is soild,it's just the peeling paint, rotten wood and a good PMCS that it needs. I towed it almost 200 miles home never knew it was behind me. It has trun in paper work that say's it need just about every thing replaced even the landing grear:cookoo: Yet they jacked it up just fine even the two speed works fine. They says it needs new brake lights and axles, yet the lights work and it towed home, hubs stayed cool. Says it needs a king pin, do they wear out?

indy4x4fab

Banned
YES YES it will be restored one of these days. The frame is soild,it's just the peeling paint, rotten wood and a good PMCS that it needs. I towed it almost 200 miles home never knew it was behind me. It has trun in paper work that say's it need just about every thing replaced even the landing grear:cookoo: Yet they jacked it up just fine even the two speed works fine. They says it needs new brake lights and axles, yet the lights work and it towed home, hubs stayed cool. Says it needs a king pin, do they wear out?
Yes king pins can wear out, but not like you would normal think. clean all the grease away and take some brake parts cleaner and clean it to bare metal. You will be looking for stress cracks in the welds of the king pin to the sheet of steel as well as hair line cracks around the king pin. If you don't find any then the trailer's king pin is just fine.

jasonjc

Well I got about half of the old decking off today. I plan to get all the old decking off and get all the crud off that holds the moisture. It looks like one of the big "D" ring is rusted real bad from all the crud. It has a buch of tie downs all around it that were added at some time. They also added reinforcements to the center of all the cross members. The outside of the front ones have some reinforcement on the bottom also.

Attachments

jasonjc

I got all the old decking off, that should help slow down the rusting untill I can get around to repainting it. I took the presure washer to it and got must of the drit and crud off. The only "bad" rust is some of the big "D" ring pockets. One looks like swiss chesse, it was full of some fine sand/silt that kept it wet and that just fed the rust.

After looking thought the parts book I think it has the wrong date plate. The lights, brakes and axles all seem to be A1 parts.

Does any one have one with the pull out rear ladder?? Mine has the hole in the back but no ladder. I could use some pic's so I can make one.

I will work on this one after I get my water buffalo done, which will be done after the lube trailer gets done.:-| Boy I need another project. Maybe if I spent less time on here and more time working on the OD:-?

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They one i had came with rungs welded to the back and they alinged with rungs on the tailgate. You could easily climb from the ground over the tailgate and into the trailer. No slide out provision though. Mine was built in 67

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those D ring pockets don't look too hard to fabricate - some angle iron will do the trick, cut out the old, grind it smooth and weld in the new angle iron.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Last edited:

jasonjc

Those D ring pockets don't look too hard to fabricate - some angle iron will do the trick, cut out the old, grind it smooth and weld in the new angle iron.
TSC has the 'D' rings for a very fair price,
15,000 lb Erickson Weld On Forged Flip Anchor Ring, 15,000 lb. maximum - 3018256 | Tractor Supply Company
20,000 lb Erickson Weld On Forged Flip Anchor Ring, 20,000 lb. maximum - 3018264 | Tractor Supply Company

Heck use some 1'' x 1/4'' flat strap, and a plate of 1/4'' flat plate 6'' x 8'' and weld the the ''d'' ring in before you weld the flat strap on and you will have a n.o.s. tie downs.

Thats what I was thinking/planing to do. What is it they say about great minds.?.rofl

Also I was look at for new bed strips. It seems like 1-1/2""C" channle is just about the same size. It's like a 1/8" taller.

Last edited:

sdflatfender

All these years since you guys had this conversation, and I'm just saying it's been informative and helpful.
I'm hoping to bring home a 1970 M127A2C soon, and stoked I've learned a lot more about them here.
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks