• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Only Truck and Now I Need a Truck..

STrider3

Kind of a strange thread title but this 1980 M35A2 is my only truck now. I sold my garage queen perfect condition 1978 Jeep Cherokee and then my 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 6.0 and bought this. I must now go and pick up my motorcycle in Yorktown, VA (from Leesburg, VA). A trip of about 185 miles each way. My options are to borrow a friend's pick-up, or another friends SUV and take the trailer. I really don't mind turning a 7 hour trip into a 12 hour trip but the thought of upsetting 1000s of other motorists by traveling 50 mph down I95, I264 and I64 is not my idea of afternoon delight. I would want my side window blackened out so that they would not be able to see anyone to glare at. Does anybody drive these trucks down the interstate? Kind of want to take the deuce but then again something tells me it would be a miserable trip. Also it is a new truck to me and don't completely trust that it would not leave me stranded by having a breakdown. Does anybody travel a significant distance with their deuce often?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would LOVE to piss off ALL those moterest, a lot of us drive down the interstate

AS for the new truck, just borrow the pu, till you get to know the deuce

I helped build the new waste water plant next to the red skins training camp, so I know what you are saying about the drivers

Last edited:

3dAngus

People on here drive them all the time, long and short distances.
If you don't know your truck, I would agree with Ron. Take the pickup and be safe.

Tlauden

The only people that seem to get mad at a deuce on the road are the people who are mad at you weather your going 50 mph or 70mph. Driving my deuce down the interstate there's a few good hills that slow me down to about 40. People just pass and probably don't think twice about it. I get a lot of waves from truckers, and once a military convoy of cucv's caught up with me and were following while going down the highway. THAT was interesting hahaha. If your not confident in your truck don't take it. A 12 hour drive in a deuce sounds fun, a 12 hour drive worrying if you will make it back or not does not sound like fun.

sierra117

I have had nothing but postive experiences with my duece one guy passed me and gave me the thumbs up. Guess it is just hard to get mad at these trucks. I like driving mine all the time just because it is so darn hard to get a speeding ticket in one. 2cents

joshs1ofakindxj

I singled handedly bottle necked both lanes of the NY Thruway going 55 mph. Even though people could pass me, the volume of traffic was so high I still caused a jam! BUT I still got nothing but love from people. Some peace signs or thumbs up from people and that "honk" arm movement from some girls. Good times.

That trip was all fun until it started to rain and I slept in the cab at a rest stop till it stopped.

roscoe

I've found that people will ride up close, tailgating the deuce, whether or not I'm going the speed limit (45 - 50 mph roads). I have had people follow me down the 70mph interstate at 50mph for some reason. I haven't notice any negative reactions though that wouldn't be there regardless of what I'm driving.

Sirblissfull

I have driven my M820A2 thousands of miles and have yet to get anyone angry at me for driving slow.

They are normally too busy taking pictures and waving. I have had some near accidents because people are trying to take pictures with phones while driving.

APM215

I take my M35 down the highway almost dally hauling scrap, I keep to the right and use my four way’s when I’m going up long hills that slow the truck down. I drive the truck at the governor and don’t care if traffic backs up behind me. Most people just give me the thumbs up, wave or blow the horn arm pull thing as they go buy. I spend all day in my truck, sometimes 14 hours or more and would not be concerned with a long drive. Just get comfortable relax and enjoy the ride.:beer:

Attachments

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another issue you may have to deal with is actually getting the bike in the truck. Depending on what kind of motorcycle it is, it may be really impractical. I have a 2005 Road King and I need a ramp at least 15 feet long to get the bike in the truck. The approach angle is pretty steep with the height of the Deuce bed.

I would opt for the pickup, or get an M105.

joshuaz223

i agree with the wait till you get to know her. after a whole summer of driving mine the only speed complaints are from my oldest grandson. he said "what does the army do if they have to get somewhere fast."

russ132

Depending on how new the truck is to you I would drive it. I drove mine alot while still pretty new to me and through that got to know my truck REAL well. I did have problems with it and they were dealt with. As for worrying about driving on the highway, I have no problem with it at all. Like most people were already saying, most drivers are too busy checking out my truck to be angry.

On to getting the bike into the back of your truck. One of the first things I did was too install a truck bed hoist in the back of the truck. This post is kind of funny actually because my truck is sitting in the driveway with two bikes in the bed that I picked up for my buddy. I am going to drop them off tomorrow. The bed hoist lifted them no problem.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do!

Attachments

STrider3

Wow! Excellent responses. I myself would not be bothered by a slow moving truck but I am a very patient driver who drives my car at slightly under the speed limits and my bikes a lot over the limits. It actually sounds kind of fun but I will have to see if the dealership has a loading dock. I can see a difficulty in getting the bike in the bed of the deuce. Glad I asked the question. Thanks, All!!

RodUSMC1962

duece road trip

When cbvet and I bought our first duece we drove it 950 miles from Minnesota to Indiana with lots of waves,smiles, thumbs up and high signs from veterans with their service branch stickers on their vehicles.If I am on a two lane road and have traffic backed up I will pull over and let traffic pass. I usually get some waves of thanks.

mattg2448

I love taking road trips in the deuce! First one is a 500 mile round trip, and i loved it! Highway the whole time, through flint, alot of people were impressed with the thumbs up and the picture taking.. On the way to my destination i got stuck in a parking lot of a expressway, and a few people walked up to my truck and asked it they could look around.. Thought that was awesome!

Just make sure you got something for hearing, it is LOUD! I were a pair of military 2 way head sets, they deaden the sound and add a cool factor!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i too would wait till i was very family with the duece before a long road trip. another option is.. can someone drive you i a car or truck and you just drive the bike back?:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks