• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My own affordable;) spare tire carrier

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!

I figured I'd post a thread about building my own spare tire carrier that isn't made out of proverbial gold!

I really like the rhino carriers but not ever going to pay those prices when I can build my own.

I unfortunately didn't take many pics pre half way point, sorry about that didn't think.

I'm building it out of mostly 303 sst except for a few pre hard parts I turned.

This is a pic of the main mount/pivot point. I designed it to use the factory mounts as much as possible. I turned a captured rod out of 3/4" pre hard and welded into a piece of c channel I made.P_20231203_142410.jpg

The following is the opposite side that will capture the swing side, I haven't final installed it yet

P_20231203_142520.jpg
P_20231203_142532.jpg

I haven't finished the actual arm yet about 95%, I have to weld the wheel mount and clamp then paint.
The next pic is a test piece I designed in fusion to mount the wheel that I will cut on my plasma table.
P_20231203_142449.jpg

The following are a bunch of build progress pics so far! Enjoy
P_20231203_142432.jpg
P_20231203_142446.jpg
P_20231203_142452.jpg
P_20231202_161736.jpg
P_20231202_162207.jpg
P_20231202_162123.jpg

I will post more to come!

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's multiple reasons for why it's designed this way. Overall length is because I wanted mounts on outer side of tailgate so it can still be opened correctly. It's made out of 2x3 tubing .120 wall because there's a 40" tire and wheel hanging off it and I definitely plan on using this heavily. The last thing I need to worry about is my spare flying off and hitting another car or person after a hard day of off roading bouncing around. Plus athletically it fits the hmmwv. I lift it and place it on studs. The way I look at it is if I'm incapable of simply lifting it up onto the carrier I probably shouldn't be out in the woods doing everything I do because everything gets much harder in the woods.

Best,
Chris

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work!

I grew up in Newington, and never heard of Moodus before. My folks moved to Portland and live there now; we were just visiting in October.

If you can heft the tire up that high and line up the holes, props to you.

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you!!
Yeah nice little town lol.
It's not easy but doable!

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks