• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Pa wants a Russian WIG!

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy all, sitting here driving back to TN from AZ dead dodge in a dumpster two dumpsters on the trailer. So we were discussing " ground effect vehicles " and come to find out if we can find out where would one attain one of these unique vehicles. My Dad was told there was several of these Russian WIGs available or looking for development money. Does anyone have any ideas, references, or pics. Maybe a WIG we can try on for size!

Yes, this is a serious post!

Ground effect vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The WIG Page - information about Ekranoplan and Wing-In-Ground effect craft

As always any help in this manner is greatly appreciated!

Jones

Sorry to be practical but I'd weigh "unique" vs. parts availability & cost of same/support and backing/ importing one or more (a second "WIG" may be the only spare parts out there).

There have been several US built ground effects vehicles that might be more likely candidates and parts for them will at least be in the same continent.

If your heart is set on a soviet one, then buy it with the intention of it never being more than a static display. If that's as far as it ever gets then you won't be disappointed-- if you get it running then all the better.

Once operational, what about governing regulations and licensing? It's not a motor vehicle (it's not operated on a public roadway-- slightly above it). Is it an aircraft?-- yep, just one with a very low operational ceiling. Likely be somewhere in the experimental class.

I took a look at the site you posted and the links seem to run in circles, so my last question would have to be; is it legit? The soviets are known for some pretty odd-ball design concepts and you don't want to find out you've just bought into a flying saucer factory in Minsk.

stampy

"flying" on the roadways.....:shock: Just get the vfr ticket and fly above the traffic! you can practice ground effect when landing or taking off.

cornrichard

Look up hovercraft. There are some US built ones with short wings now. They fly at about 0-15 ft.
Kind of cool if you have about 10-20 large to use for toy money.

Alredneck

Banned
Pa, seems to be beating his brains out trying to find a operational one that has the capacity to hold say 100 people for some super secret, offshore transportation. I think its more of a cool but not practical. We have looked at American manufactures but havent found on of the size for his concept. For Pa, money is of no object as long as it produces results! :cookoo:

saddamsnightmare

March 3rd, 2010.

One of our members on here who bought my 1961 USMC M422A1 down in Philadelphia, Pa., had the only road licensed hovercraft in PA. He had it fitted with headlights, taillights, turn signals, and I swear, 4 lawnmower wheels with brakes attached, as PA required a positive mechanical brake to be able to stop and hold the beast at stop lights. I guess it worked. The idea was to slow down and drift down onto the wheels, and then use a foot (?) actuated brake to physically stop and hold the vehicle. When the light changed, just accellerate and lift off, controlling it via the usual hovercraft controls. I suspect it was a most interesting machine to see in operation, unfortunately I knew much more about the M422A1 then the ground effect vehicle.....

Just a thought, if they are licensable in PA as a vehicle, they probably can be licensed elsewhere.....:p

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

NB: The US Navy had some in Vietnam they used for interdiction work in the Plain of Reeds and the Iron Triangle, so they have been around before this.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks