• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My possible return to the M/V world! M1008 Question.

gt1009

Hey everyone!

After my year or so of driving my civvy pickup, I'm in the mood for another M/V. This time, I'm living in Wilmington, North Carolina, and I really don't go much more than 45 MPH most of the time, I think an M1008 is practical for me now. I went and looked at one today, but I had one issue. The guy has it in normal, 24 volt starting configuration, but has 2 optima red-top batteries in it. He said it would start some days and not others. I looked at it and sure enough it cranked, but didn't start. It was about 75 degrees, so I'm pretty sure it's not glow plugs, but I gotta talk to him about them still. Just wondering if the optimas don't have the juice to crank the 6.2, or if there is a bigger issue underlying somewhere. Hopefully I'll be back on SS real soon!

Barrman

Diesel engines need to be spun fast to start. 75° is still not warm enough for a 6.2 to start without glow plugs. At least not without 5-10 seconds of cranking. Cranking at the proper speed that is.

If you go back, look at the volt meter and see where it is when you turn on the key. Right on the yellow/green line is full batteries. It should go to just about the bottom of the yellow arc when the glow plugs kick on. Should crank fast and fire up. If you crank it less than 10 seconds, crawl underneath and feel the starter. It should be just about the same temperature as the front axle you are reaching around to get to it. Warm or hot to the touch means it needs a rebuild. The hotter it is, the more immediate the need. Figure $150-$200 for rebuild or replacement.

gt1009

Ok, so right now I'm thinking about going back and looking at the truck again. The guy is asking 3500 for it, and no way in **** would I pay that much. Figuring since I bought my last 1009 at 2500 and in good working order, I'll probably offer 2 grand on this one if I can hear it run. If I can't, I'll tell him 1500 bucks until I can hear that 6.2 purr. Also, my main question is does anyone else have 2 optima red tops in their cucv that could chime in here and tell me how it starts with them.

12vctd

remember one thing a m1008 and m1009 are way diff animals in aspects of price. A man can sell the dana 60 out of a m1008 for a easy 1000. So I dont think he will if he knows the value of the parts he has there bite on 1500, he could sell the drivetrain and scrap the body and frame and make what your wanting to offer. 3500 is alot cheaper than most ask for thier trucks, but by all means and I really do hope you can pick it up for 1500. Or 2k, but just remember that the dana 60 14/bolt in the m1008 will bring alot more cash if than the parts on a m1009.

K9Vic

Red top Optimas have nothing to do with the starting problem unless they are old and no longer at full charge. The glow plugs are very important to starting the truck and if they are not working properly, then you will have hard starting even at 75*. My M1009 on a 80+ day before I changed the glow plugs would take two cycles to start with in a few seconds cranking. After I replaced them it started in 1-2 seconds on colder days. They checked out ok with a test light, but that is not a 100% reliable test. The AC 60G are what I use and recommended here for the replacement. If the GP relay is OK, then the GP card is bad. From there you then bypass the GP card if you do not want to buy a new card.

The glow plugs are my guess as to the problem, I looked at a M1009 over the past weekend and it was a PITA to start. It had the bypass but had bad GP and took a while to get started, but ran well. So that is where I would go, there are likely multiple bad glow plugs. With the 24v to 12v resistor, you could have all of them bad as one goes more will likely follow as the voltage increases buring them out faster. So this is why many bypass the resistor to garrantee 12v max.

Ok.... hope that helped, I am going to go now :jumpin::mrgreen:

Last edited:

Lawrence of Arabia

Price: Yes I agree on $1,500.00 being to cheap, but go for it. You never know. I paid $1,600.00 for my M1028 just so I could throw the chassis under my CIVY Truck.

gt1009

Ah yes, I forgot how much the D60 front was worth. I would be willing to pay 3500 for the truck, just not one that doesn't run. Oh how I remember these same issues with my 1009...

91W350

It could be a fueling issue just as easy, leaking down. Next time you crank it a few revs and it does not start, turn that black knob on top of the filter base counter clockwise and it should spew raw fuel, not bubbles. If it is blowing air bubbles, you have a leak down issue. Could be the lift pump, a line, a connection, fuel filter seal, warped filter base, injection pump, check valve, return lines, they can be a bear to find. Glen

gt1009

Ok. Update here. I went to look at the truck again and the guy hooked it up to a jumper box and it started right up. I think it had been started earlier that day though because when I turned the key the GP lights only kicked on for about a second. However, this kind of leads me away from a glow plug issue and back to the battery issue. Reasoning here is that if it had started earlier that day, then the glow plugs would still be good having started it before. I guess I'll tell him to get the batteries tested and go from there unless anyone has any other ideas.

rnd-motorsports

THE starter as stated before could be the problem optima batterys are the best batterys out there for me. Have them in 6 trucks/cars. bad/dirty conections on cables and yes batterys not fully charged maybe bad alt. or yes maybe a bad battery have to test check everything!

Barrman

When my starter died a month or so ago. The engine barely moved with two good batteries. Hook up the slave cable to a running Duece and it fired up like normal. Doing that made the starter really hot though. You would still be ahead to start it and crawl underneath to see if the starter is hot.

Chief_919

Ok. Update here. I went to look at the truck again and the guy hooked it up to a jumper box and it started right up. I think it had been started earlier that day though because when I turned the key the GP lights only kicked on for about a second. However, this kind of leads me away from a glow plug issue and back to the battery issue. Reasoning here is that if it had started earlier that day, then the glow plugs would still be good having started it before. I guess I'll tell him to get the batteries tested and go from there unless anyone has any other ideas.

I wouldn't rule out glow plugs. If he had started it earlier in the day, odds are it was warm enough to start without glow plugs. When my 1028 had a bad solenoid a squirt of ether in the morning would start it, and the rest of the day it would fire up with no issues.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 has two redtop optima's. But not all red tops are created equal. There is a cheezy model. It will have the side post mounts at the outer edges. These redtops have less cranking amps than the others with the side post close to the middle. Even if it has these it would be enough to start the truck.

gt1009

Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a look at the starter and if it turns out to be that and I end up getting the truck I'll be doing a 12v conversion right quick.

gt1009

One more thing is that when I drove the truck, after the idle dropped to the low idle, it seemed like the whole cab was vibrating at a resonant frequency or something. Once I hit the gas it would stop. Not sure if that is something else to worry about either? Just trying to make sure I get a good truck if I end up buying this one.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why a 12 volt conversion? If you do that you can throw all the TMs out the window.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks