• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My recovery at Nellis Thursday, and parade today

Truckoholic

Okay, so I ended up going and recovering the M35 and two trailers myself that were at Nellis. Normally I am working hauling logs this time of year, so it costs me less to pay someone else to haul stuff like that for me. But I had a situation where I had a guy say he was going to move them for me, so I sent him all he paperwork that he needed to remove them from the lot down there, and then he just disappeared from the face of the earth. Luckily I had not paid him anything yet, but what really scared me, is that since he had the paperwork, that he could go get my truck and trailers, and take off with them. And I could not get ahold of anyone at Nellis to tell them not to release them to anyone but me. Finally I got ahold of Chris there, and he assured me they were still there and that I could come get them at 10AM thursday morning.

So, it turned out that the logging company I was hauling for didn't need me this week, so rather than try finding someone else to go get my stuff for me, I just went and got it myself. I got there expecting to have to pull the truck and trailers up onto my trailer, and my dad flew in the night before to help me do it, but instead we get there and Chris says "Oh, well I can just load those on there for you with the forklift". So that made things SOOOO much easier and faster!

IMG_20110811_110133 (Small).jpg IMG_20110811_110146 (Small).jpg

Got it all tied down, and out of there in less than an hour. Everything was going great, and we headed north on 95 from Las Vegas headed back up here to Northern California. Got just about 50 miles south of Hawthorne Nevada, and one of my trailer tires blew.
IMG_20110811_172929 (Small).jpg IMG_20110811_172952 (Small).jpg

Okay, no big deal, I've got an big air impact wrench and a jack. Got to take the blown tire off, and find out the lug nuts are too big for my socket. DOH!!! So we decided to just keep going til we got to a tire place. Well, then the tire next to it went flat as well. So we ended up stranded on the side of the road 48 miles south of Hawthorne for 2 and half hours as we waited for a tire service guy to come.
IMG_20110811_192206 (Small).jpg
The trailer has 8.25 R15 tires on it, and they did not have any, so we just had him move one of my other tires onto that axle. Finally made it as far as Fallon, and decided we better spend the night there so we could go to a tire shop the next day and get the tires fixed right. Got a new tire, and an innertube put in another one, and $554 later we were on our way again.

Made it home yesterday just in time to get everything unloaded, and throw on a quick paint job on the M105 so I could pull it in the parade this morning behind my M813A1 where I won First place in the Special Interest Vehicle division. ha ha It was a lot of fun. Luckily they put me in line right behind a friend in his Ferret so that was pretty cool.

IMG_20110813_102624 (Small).jpg IMG_20110813_102557 (Small).jpg IMG_20110813_084159 (Small).jpg IMG_20110813_125604 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When you find yourself in that tire situation again, just CHAIN up the the axle end,

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home ok with the problems.
Great write up and pics, we always like pics.
It was great that Chris loaded things for you.
He has loaded things for me as well.
:beer:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purty kewl! Hmmmmm, if I could "do" my own recoveries, that would be somethin! LOL Darn sockets! Congrats on gettin 'em home! It's not just a job, it's an adventure! LOL
God bless,
Tony:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks