• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My recovery from Ft. Lewis...Lots of Pics

bigelk50

Ok I picked up our 1986 M35A2C and our 1984 M200A1 trailer chassis on Saturday and made it back Sunday. Time for the story...

I was going to meet Todd up there mind you, but he had some troubles himself.
Arrived at the guard station at 0700, got a pass and checked in. I, never being to the Gl lot before had no clue where it was. I made the mistake of asking the guards who did not know where it was either. They were not about to let me drive around till I found it. I made a few phone calls for directions... no answers:cry: I finally found it on the google maps and they let me go. I got to the truck at 0800 sitting outside the gate.
I first did a walk around and made notes. Next my buddy Seth worked on the trailer light plug. It was mangled and had to be beat back into submission with a 4 pound hammer as well as cutting off some of the rubber. All lights, truck and trailer worked perfectly.
Next we installed some temp mud flaps. We clamped them to the frame rail and safety wired EVERYTHING so nothing bad could happen.
After that it was time to check all fluids. They were great. Nothing needed.
34 degrees and it started right up with no troubles. It built air pressure quickly. I let her sit and warm up while we checked the air in all tires. I noticed the left front steer was badly worn/ dished on one side. (like alignment or something) Also the right rear inner was flat. It would not take air. And dumb me forgot my jack:evil:
So off to the tire shop in Lacey we go. They put a tire in place of the flat one (the worn steer), pull a almost new one off the trailer and install on the steer axle, then single out the other side of the trailer for me. All at no charge!! Thanks for that. We parked the truck for the night at my cousins house. (She lives in Lacey, Wa)
Got up at 0600, did another pre-trip inspection and were on the road at 0800. The truck had 3/4 tank of fuel after I added the 10 gallons I brought with me. I figured we would have to stop for fuel so we did not eat anything. Wrong! We only stopped once at a rest stop in Oregon. We were at our destination (Salem, Or) at 1115. I left the truck at my father in law's house, so that he could see what we bought.
165 miles in 3 hrs 15 mins. Truck ran great at 50-55 mph. Pulled every hill at 45 mph. One hill It did drop to 42 mph. Temp stayed at 160 degrees the whole trip. Used just over a half tank of fuel.

I am going up first thing Tomorrow (Tuesday) morning to get our 1970 M818.

I did not take a lot of pics when we first got there. After being with the guards for an hour, I was not thinking about pics! But here is what I did take.

Mike (WSUCOUGARX) put his personal lock on our tool box for us to prevent our "Bonuses" from coming up missing. When I get home we cut the lock off and found: one emergency triangle kit, one mil issue bottle jack with handle, one lug nut socket/ wheel removal tool with handle, 2 canvas end curtains, one safety strap for cargo cover. There was a canvas tool bag that contained a tire inflater gauge with hose, a pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, 2 philips and 2 flat screwdrivers. Also had an operators manual! Thanks again Mike!!

Please bear with having to click on the pictures I am not sure why it does this.

Attachments

MDSA

Good job. Nice truck and trailer. I like the looks of the M200 trailer - would love to get one, but they always go for too much. The M200 would be very useful with a few mods. Aside from the jack, it looks like you were well prepared for the recovery. I took everything I could think of. Didn't need half of it, but best be prepared. Enjoy. Saturday Pickup??

bigelk50

Ha yeah a could have maintained a small fleet with the amount of stuff I brought. The pick up was a pre arranged deal. I could not make it up on Friday and was already in Lacey, Wa on other business. So they helped me out!

herrickd

So if you picked these up today does that mean that the whole mutilation process has not begun yet? I am confused here...should I bid on a trailer or not?

bigelk50

MDSA too bad your not closer. We are going to sell this trailer. I agree that they are very handy with a few mods. We hope to come across more in the future for our own use. You have trucks for a dime a dozen back there and we have the same in trailers out here. I wish it was the other way around!

herrickd: I picked these up on Saturday. It was a special arrangement. There was no mutilation required. You have to read what is required before you bid if it says EUC required I would bid on a trailer. Hope this helps.

bigelk50

Well for this trailer I think that we are just going to sell it. We bought it blind in hopes it had some good tires. It had one almost new one and three that are good for trailer or spare uses. I hope to get a few more of these trailers in the future. I think we are going to put a flad deck on it and sell it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if you picked these up today does that mean that the whole mutilation process has not begun yet? I am confused here...should I bid on a trailer or not?
The code change doesn't affect anything already in GL hands. Only future items at this time. If I saw a trailer I wanted I'd bid on it :-D.

Wolf.Dose

These trailers were fro sale about 20 to 25 years ago in Germany, They have mainly served as chassis for 60 kW generator sets. Someons semms to have cut away the fenders which normally should be fixed to the chassis.
Thats my impression from the pcs. Someone knows an other use of them?
Wolf from Germany

wsucougarx

Hey you're welcome Reub! It was my pleasure to help you out. Truck looks great. Maybe we'll see you tomorrow morning. I'm going to try and make up at O dark 30 hours to look at a fellow SS M818.

ohnuts

just purchased and awaiting my euc

Purchased an M35A2 out of redstone and expect to pick it up in three or four weeks, time for my first EUC. Hope there is still something not picked clean. Any body deal with trucks that have been converted to keyed ignition. Is it just a simple tractor style cutoff to the starter. Almost looked like it had two switches added?

Make a key or jumper around, any input?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks