• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My resistor can't be bad!?

Bighorn

Bry, have you replaced the battery in your voltmeter recently?
Measuring resistance requires a meter with a battery in good condition.
Where as, a somewhat weak battery and the meter can still read voltages correctly but resistance values will be wonky.
Cucvrus on here has dozens of resistors for trade.
He likes expired license plates.

bryfor

Update on my glowplug swell issue. Ordered bosch plugs. Had a few of the second set of wellman swell on me.
I ended up pulling both fender wells...so much easier to get them out. I also ordered the two piece hummer glowplug extractor tool from kascar for 65.00. It doesn't work on drivers rear against firewall so I used a slide hammer.
Tried to order new inner fenders from two different ebay vendors who both said they were shipped then cancelled my order and gave a refund. Guess I'm repairing my originals! 89 bucks for both seemed like a good deal.
I'm almost at the point to fire it up and hopefully be able to troubleshoot my gp system without swelling anymore. I've been cleaning g every connection I can on this new to me truck (Nov 2017) but all looks pretty clean so far. I hate to replace stuff without knowing it's bad.
I have a skilled trades electrician acquantence at ford reviewing a copy of the wiring schematic.
More to follow as time allows.

MarcusOReallyus

Camel Driver

PLEASE use paragraphs.
It’s like reading a brick.
Most guys use AC60Gs here
Others use the AC13Gs.
Few use Bosch.
Either works.
I wouldn’t bother with speciality/off brands. Too many unknowns.
Stay away from Wellmans.

Check all your connections all the way down to the GP tab.
Each and every GP wire to make sure all the links are good.
I understand we are all not writers here but I agree, that was tough to read. At least break it up after every 3-4 sentences so it isn't painful to look at.
[thumbzup]

MarcusOReallyus

I understand we are all not writers here but I agree, that was tough to read. At least break it up after every 3-4 sentences so it isn't painful to look at.
[thumbzup]

Speaking of painful to look at, that black font against the standard dark background is hard to see!

Gotcha! :mrgreen:

(but it really is!)

;)

bryfor

Got truck all back together finally with new bosch plugs. All seems well and glowplugs and relay functioned as designed. Didn't do the resistor bypass. To sum it up I think I just happend upon 2 bad sets of the wellman 070 glowplugs. Thanks for all the help and advice

cucvrus

Good Luck. I never do any resistor bypass. been working fine for me for over 22 years. Many vehicles used long and hard. Replace worn parts as they fail and keep the batteries up to full power and most of the electrical problems never appear. That has been my experience with most equipment also. Have a great day and may the force be with you.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got truck all back together finally with new bosch plugs. All seems well and glowplugs and relay functioned as designed. Didn't do the resistor bypass. To sum it up I think I just happend upon 2 bad sets of the wellman 070 glowplugs. Thanks for all the help and advice
It sounds like you may have always had 1 or more old plugs burned out from the beginning thus your resister was sending more voltage to the rest of the plugs and causing your problems. If you replace just 1 or 2 blown plugs and not all the rest at the same time, the original working plugs have a higher resistance than the new ones you just installed. This will cause higher heat to the new plugs you just replaced and risking burning them out again. All 8 plugs are part of one system and should be of the same brand age/resistance.

Same goes with your batteries. You mentioned 1 of your batteries was weak. This can cause other issues with all your electrical systems including starter, starter relay, alternators and glow plugs. Its a good choice to replace both batteries at the same time to help reduce other failures down the road.

Glad you got it working.

sandcobra164

I'm also happy you got your truck sorted out. I'm on the other side of the fence though, I got rid of my resistor behind the air cleaner and enlarged the hole in the ring terminal for the glowplug relay to hook to the 12V bus bar and never looked back. I also put AC 60g glowplugs in afterwards. I went through quite a few of the wellman glowplugs and fished a few tips out of the pre-cups before I read about the modification. It made perfect sense to me and I have had nothing but good starts after converting. My starter is the only 24 volt item on the truck which comes in handy if it needs to be jumped off or if the 5 ton needs to be jumped off. Everything works just fine so I would consider modifying yours the same. Mine even cycles the glowplugs in the same manner that it did before eliminating the resistor. No glowplug button here. Normal starting sequence, turn key on, press on throttle pedal while wait light is on to set high idle, twist key when light goes off and boom, running 6.2 diesel. I am aware that wired this way the front battery gets worked harder than the rear battery. Consider that each battery has it's own alternator and charging circuit on these trucks and the fact that mine has been modified in this manner for over 5 years with no issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks