• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Restored HMMWV

Action

I had a question about if I even own an HMMWV. Well here are pics of my "restored" HMMWV. One before and one after. In the pic, the mirrors, wheels, and bumpers had not been CARC'd yet. Can I say "painted" because CARC isn't paint? And, my camo has sharp lines due to me taping the pattern, but I did follow the camo TM for the pattern. I believe I have fastened every nut and bolt on this, and all were properly torqued to spec (if given in TM). I now have the correct aluminum roof on it.
This was the 2nd REV built. It was blown up on purpose (along with the 1st REV) to test how the REV components and chassis held up to IED blasts. In the first pic, you see both of the REV and the front 1/2 of an m1114. My HMMWV was never used by the military and did not come from an auction. I have become sort of a quality control. I try to make sure everything on my resto is as AMG sent it out. Maybe that is why I get picky when I see someone selling a truck for a very high price and then cut corners. I did add a license plate frame, rear view mirror (H1), and a driver armrest and cup holder. I have driven this over 19,000 miles, and it is my only vehicle.

1615563463194.png

1615563496360.png
A couple things that bug me are....."restored".....not all PCB's are Smart Start Boxes......if your wipers park on the driver side, fix it.....bed liner.....REV and ECV are not the same thing......

Do your research before buying parts.
I see on epay a set of front green doors. Ad states the driver door is NOS and never mounted. Look at the pic below. I know from experience that this is a used door. Look at the seal near the upper door hinge. It is crushed in from the retaining strap getting folded in between the door and body when it is closed. That crushed seal didn't happen from storage...

1615564251857.png

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
First pic looks like a daily driver. Anything HMMWV is buyer beware. 30 year old truck with only 78 miles... light surface rust, resent paint restoration by GL.
Looks newly build... YEP

NOS door, Check the lower seal... full of crud too, hinge pins rusted, latch spring missing, An easy $1500 NOS door.

You guys crack me up, CAMO

Action

The 1st and 2nd pics are my truck. The pile of frames is what was dropped of in my yard. The 2nd pic is from last year. It is my daily driver.

springer1981

Mine won't ever be "restored" for 1 simple reason, they won't let me have the SAM missile launcher :D One mistake I made was selling the original HMMWV wheels and tires when I put the H2 wheels and 17" tires on. I'll probably end up finding a set at some point and having them for off road use. I'm building mine as a fun driver and while I have kept much of it original I'm not a purest.

Your after picture looks amazing, Love it!!

Action

Mine won't ever be "restored" for 1 simple reason, they won't let me have the SAM missile launcher :D One mistake I made was selling the original HMMWV wheels and tires when I put the H2 wheels and 17" tires on. I'll probably end up finding a set at some point and having them for off road use. I'm building mine as a fun driver and while I have kept much of it original I'm not a purest.

Your after picture looks amazing, Love it!!
that would be cool to do a mock up of the missile launcher in the back. maybe rig in some simple motors to make it move...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks