• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My second MEP-831A

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was having trouble with getting the unit to put out a full load with out smoking, when I went above 2500 watts. Here is the steps I took

1. Adjusted valves to .015" - No change in operation

2. Decided to replace the Fuel Injector Pump and the Injector. -The idea behind this was to eliminate that these were the cause.

-Replaced the Fuel injection Pump nothing unusually, Place in a sealed bag with a good coating of oil for anther day.

-Pulled injector and tried to extract gasket with M8 bolt per TM. Nothing was in there no injector gasket or spacer, I carefully looked at the injector port to be sure it was missing. I have no idea how this engine had enough compression to even run as well as it did. I cleaned up gasket surface the best I could and installed injector.

Now the unit happily puts out 3000 watts. I'm really happy I bought a L70 overhaul kit off of Ebay, comes with everything except the piston and rings.

20180524_150838 (1).jpg20180524_150847 (1).jpg

I noticed immediately that this unit a lot more quiet then my other unit. Any ideas there running the same controllers? Can the muffler be burned out?

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some help restoring the 24 volt battery that came with the set. When I received it had 2.2 volt my 24 volt trickle charger refused to charge it (Battery Tender 24 Volt 2.5 Amp). After that I tried to connect it to another good 24 volt battery and let it sit for 3 days, that did no good. After that failed I opened the battery cap cover and refilled the water, the battery was very dry inside it took quite a bit of water to refill it. This time I installed the battery inside the set and used a slave cable to jump other set. The other set has a small solar panel on it(Solargizer IS-24-L). After a few days it up to 22 volts, when I disconnected the slave cable it was still at 22 volts. Once I place the switch to RUN position it drops to about 14 volt, nothing happens if I try to place it to start.

Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the battery is shot especially since it was so low on water. Probably badly sulphated.
You might try this. See sections 5.6 and 5.7. http://www.concordebattery.com/Chairman_Technical_Manual.pdf
Requires a Constant Current source to implement. Around 700 mA.
Used this process on my two 831's Concorde Batteries. Did wonders to improve the two batteries capacities.
Others I've done that were too far gone it couldn't recover.
Gook Luck!

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you refer to a Constant Current source, will my Battery Tender 24 Volt 2.5 Amp work? Or are you referring to a wall wart style power supply? I searched and found a PowerPulse 24 Volt Battery Desulfator Maintenance System. Wonder if anyone has tried a battery desulfator?

Thank you Kloppk for the .pdf

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Constant Current source is a power supply capable of providing a constant current regardless of voltage.
Just the opposite of a constant voltage supply or battery charger.
So no, the Battery Tender or wall wart supply won't fill the bill.
I use a laboratory grade power supply that has a constant current capability. Not a common item in ones shop.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the time being I'm just going to order a new battery replacement, 2x 18ah SLA for around $65 USD. A decent laboratory grade power supply that has a constant current capability cost around $160. Along with no guarantee that it would restore the battery.

Thanks for the clarification

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks