• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my service shop is fired.

charlietango

So I was having an issue with my brake lights not working unless I jammed the pedal down REALLY hard. So I thought to myself "maybe the brake fluid is low and the fluid actuated switch is not getting the proper amount of fluid to... actuate?"

So while it was in getting its annual safety inspection I said to the shop foreman "hey! would you mind making sure the brake fluid is topped off? My brake lights only work if I really stomp on the pedal. ( if the brake fluid level is up just let me know and I will trouble shoot it further."

called them this past Monday and asked if they were done with it. they answer "yea but we had to do some re-wiring to get those brake lights working!"

this is about the time I refrain from putting my boot up their a$$. because they were technically working and all my other lights were functional including blackouts so I knew they were wired correctly. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I politely remind them that I only authorized them to check the fluid level and advised them that I would pick it up on the evening of the 11th..after all the Remembrance Day stuff had calmed down.

Went to pick it up (dark) turned the switch to service and voila! the brake lights work..sort of. still have to press really hard on the pedal. ok so now what did they screw up!?!? I say out loud. My wife realizing that my blood pressure is going to break their front windows states 'its ok! they will just have to fix it!"

turn the rest of the lights on and all is fine except my left side black-out illuminates bright white and the red running lights do not work.

It is an easy fix for me but time consuming. Will they be smart enough to PUT IT BACK THE WAY IT WAS? I don't trust them now.... if they didn't understand all those extra wires why did they touch it? so there it sits.. since Oct 5th waiting still for brake fluid to be checked....

just had to rant it out. ! gonna chew their heads off tomorrow morning

Davin

kc5mzd

I would get it out and not take it back. It is usually faster and easier to re-fix it your self than to get stressed out waiting for someone that doesn't know what they are doing to mess something else up. The air / hydraulic brakes have unique issues with the brake light switch that can sometimes be remedied by something as simple as bleeding the air pack or cleaning the master cyl vent.
The last thing you want is to have an angry mechanic working on your truck

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't pay them!!!!!! Cancel the check or put a hold on the credit card. My regards to you. My blood pressure gets cranked, just reading your notes here. I'll bet they used some funky crimp connectors too.

Keep us posted Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't pay them!!!!!! Cancel the check or put a hold on the credit card. My regards to you. My blood pressure gets cranked, just reading your notes here. I'll bet they used some funky crimp connectors too.

Keep us posted Lee in Alaska

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have found that its best to speak calmly and clearly when in a situation like this. Let them know that they will be getting a bill to fix what was screwed up and why. I doubt I would trust them to fix it either.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't let them touch it again. They will undoubtedly use glycol-based brake fluid to top off the mC, instead of DOT-5.

pjpiche1

Getting irate is rarely beneficial of effective to either party. Pay them for what they were supposed to do. Then either take it somewhere else or diagnose it yourself. It sounds like you may need to see if the pressure switch is blocked by trash in the fluid. You may just need a new pressure switch. If the fluid level is low enough to not make the switch work, having brake lights will be the the least of your problem. You will not have any brakes!!! The switch is located after the master cyl.

charlietango

yea you guys are right.. I am just pissed now and still cooling off. I don't deal well with people who can not follow simple instruction... I will chew them out calm clear and military like.... then get it out of there and fix it myself.

KC5MZD I assume those jobs are in one of the service manuals? sounds like a job for spring.

Thanks boys..

vtdeucedriver

WOW! They have morons in Canada too?:-D

ROFL!!!!!!!

Many years ago, I had seen a M37 at a service station getting tires installed. I did not stop and find out whos truck it was but it was in great shape. Well about a week later I was over at my friends house who sells M37 parts and I told him about what I had seen and asked whos it was. He started laughing and told me, yea he got a call from the owner and the tire shop snapped off ALL the lugs on one side because they did not know that they were Left and right hand threads!!!!!! You would have thought after the FIRST 5 That there was a ISSUE!!!!

coyotegray

I think I would take an MV to a shop only as a last resort.
I would also provide the shop with very detailed information about what I wanted done.

If I was a shop, Im not sure I would accept work on an MV considering what a PITA it could turn into..

Andy..

ETA - You are talking about a Deuce, right..?

charlietango

yea I am going to give them the service manual excerpt pertaining to the AO next time

they were very apologetic.. and SWORE they would get it back to the way it was, and do a full brake system flush and re-bleed it all with DOT5 .. I gave them the manual already

dc3coyote

I just took two starters into the shop to be rebuilt. I got a little concerned after I had to explain that alot of larger engine starters are 24 volt.

I dont normally pay attention to the having to explain what a Pinzgauer and a Unimog are. This guy still did not leave much hope. I am still planning on buying new ones so if this guy can fix it all the better, I will have spares.

Never mind the guy called me three minutes after posting this. Telling me that he could not find any parts at all. "him. Its like they stopped building these parts in the late 60's early 70's." ME."Yea I told you they were for a 64' unimog, and a 77; Pinzgauer"

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Well Gentlemen, this is why we have this wonderful forum and a great selection of down-loadable TMs. DIY seeems to be the way, if you can't find anyone qualified to work on your vehicle. Belonging to a Collector's Club helps also, there is always plenty of good talent to be had from Club Brothers. Just my 2cents

usmc320

You needed a shop to check your brake fluid? Not trying to sound mean, but that is something you should check on your own regardless of whether the shop does it.

GoHot229

yea you guys are right.. I am just pissed now and still cooling off. I don't deal well with people who can not follow simple instruction... I will chew them out calm clear and military like.... then get it out of there and fix it myself.

KC5MZD I assume those jobs are in one of the service manuals? sounds like a job for spring.

Thanks boys..
So..... ah... ummmm...... is now a Good time to ask for a Loan?........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks