• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my short ownership of a deuce

Flyingvan911

Hang in there. When you are done with all of the work you will have a great truck. These trucks take more maintenance than a regular vehicle but it is worth it.

Blueduce

Welcome to the fold. It's not just a hobby it's an incurable disease. Fortunately you'll find all the help and advice you'll ever need right here at SS. My TM's and this site are my lifelines.

Well thank you redbeard. Its still all fun to me. I will try a bit harder to study those TM's. But they do bore me to death. By the way how is the zombie hunting going? Ive been Z hunting for many years and as close as I've ever been is hippies. Meh one in the same
My name on here is a loose identification as an AMC's The Walking Dead fan.
If any of those survivors would have thought to grab one of the many MVs sitting around in Atlanta or outside the CDC in Season 1, it might have been a whole different story by now! lol
:driver:

F18hornetM

Thanks, Just ordered a 27si. 200 series 24 volt, 65 amp. One wire. and double pulley to fit original belts. $99 for new alternator and $8 for pulley. Will keep you posted on how it works out in case others could use the info. Rebuild kit for the 27si is $34 for future use. Very common alternator on all kinds of equipment. Cant even get a regulator for the Prestolite for twice that much. I really favor original equipment, but there is a limit.
After looking at your pictures close, it looks like a 27si as well. Going by the connection locations and mounting.

turbovr6jetta

When I built my VW-powered trike, I used a spun aluminum Sobe bottle with the screw top and a tiny hole poked in the cap for a vent. You can make a brake fluid reservior out of just about anything. Just stop at the local motorcycle shop and get a bad dirt bike innertube out of thier trash bin. Make sure you get the kind with the threaded brass valve stem and remove the vale core. Then cut the tube around the valve stem. The trick is to take a piece of bare wire (welding or braising rod or wire hanger), drill a hole the OD size of the valve stem in the bottom of your reservior bottle, and clean out the drill cuttings. insert the wire through the top of the bottle and out the hole you just drilled and slide the valve stem over the wire and drop it inside the bottle. the wire will guide the stem through the hole in the bottom of the bottle. Then install the washer and nut on the stem and tighten. the rubber at the base of the stem will seal it against the bottle and give you a place to put the hose to the master cylinder. The bottle can be just about anything you want from a spun aluminum bottle to a sturdy plastic bottle. you're only limited by your imagination. A DOT 5 brake fluid bottle is a good choice for obvious reasons. Depending on where you plan to mount it, a couple of sheet metal screws through a pair of large hose clamps with some small pieces of rubber hose on the clamps as cushions to prevent chafing the bottle makes a reliable mounting method.
Did I ever mention my friends used to call me "MacGyver"? lol
:beer:
Funny thing is that I was looking around for one of my old VW reseviors. but i cant seem to find one! I know I had a dozen of them somewhere.

Hats off to you. You jumped in with both feet and have been a busy and highly productive camper. Welcome to the occasionally wacky Deuce world. It's one of the more interesting spots around. :beer:

I have surely been busy. Productive... I'm on the fence about that one.

Admit it (like at AA)Don't you just love it !!! And keep your eyes open for another. They're HERD animals.:beer:
I always have my eye open for another. But I really need a Dump truck. I have been thinking about throwing a kit on the deuce but im still not sure about them yet. If I could fine a 5 ton dumper for a reasonable price I might end up deeper in the hobby

Thanks, Just ordered a 27si. 200 series 24 volt, 65 amp. One wire. and double pulley to fit original belts. $99 for new alternator and $8 for pulley. Will keep you posted on how it works out in case others could use the info. Rebuild kit for the 27si is $34 for future use. Very common alternator on all kinds of equipment. Cant even get a regulator for the Prestolite for twice that much. I really favor original equipment, but there is a limit.
After looking at your pictures close, it looks like a 27si as well. Going by the connection locations and mounting.

The Delco Part # is a 1100077 its an "OEM" brand I believe which is supposed to be a remanufactered OE part. I paid full retail and I think I was at 170 after tax and the pully. And just for some added info I think it was a 3.5" pully. Obviously for dual 1/2" belts. I installed the pully and measured from the front of the pully to the mounting tab and did the same on the stocker. I then welded the piece of pipe on so that the front of the pipe was the diffrence past the front of it to make sure it would allign well. Mine wasnt very far off under an 1/8 inch. The other option I was thinking about was to make the pipe 3/8 of an inch shorter that the distance of the mounting tabs so i could shim it eiher direction with some washers. But I didnt want to try to stuff washers in there and have the falling out while trying to install the alternator. I like things to be easy to do. It stems from my overwhelming urge but yet incapability to be LAZY

F18hornetM

Just looked up and yes that is a 27 si alternator. That part number is a good one and one of about at least a half a dozen 27si models. As far as paying full retail, depending on the brand, NAPA wholesale is around what you paid. Retail is well over $200. So dont think you did bad. Get mine done, hopefully this weekend Ill take some pics as well. Thanks for information
Also You can make the tube spacer a little short as the rear of teh Alt has a bushing that moves. The front should be bolted solid first then rear bolt tighened up. That allows a little play.

Last edited:

plym49

So as a new member I would get every one caught up on what the last few weeks of my life have been like. After my 5 mile drive hime I decided to turn it around in the field. This was a mistake. It s#!+ stew out there. So after a few hours of screwing around and making a large mess and very little help from an excavator got it out. It was such a swamp the kubota had to pull itself out with the bucket before I even got close to it. The next day the brakes went soft. After adding the wrong fluid I built a power bleeder (thanks SS) and cleared ger out. Yay brakes again. A few mornings later the batterys were dead. Bad alternator, or regulator I didn't care enough to test. It wasn't charging. I went and got a 24v delco style alternator built a braket after some trial ane error and I was back up and running. Well the girlfriend isn't too happy with the comfort of the truck. So I threw on a muffler a friend had laying around. It is a 4" AERO turbine. It is pretty quit. After I put on the foam insulated hard top with the windows up I get about 86 db of mosty engine noise and still alot of whistle. This is with a phone app so who knows but its suprisingly quiet with the top. Good to go right? Nope I broke an injector line. Sheared off clean right on top of the compression nut coming out of the pump. Three hours later in the middle of nowhere and few tools I got most of the old ferrule off of the broken piece of tube and got it back together. Back on the road. Threw in a pyro. Forgot to check the brake fluid. No brakes. Time to fix this for good. Now I'm in the midfle of a brake overhaul. But I've discovered some broken rivets on a shoe so now Im waiting for a new shoe. It is going to be a very long hobby if it keeps going like this. But I'm still having fun so far

Here comes some pics and maybe a video if it works
Machines have souls. Yours is getting to know you. It's just like a dog you save from the shelter; it will wet and make a few messes in your home, and chew some things it shouldn't, but as soon as you get to know each other you will have a lifelong friend.

turbovr6jetta

Just looked up and yes that is a 27 si alternator. That part number is a good one and one of about at least a half a dozen 27si models. As far as paying full retail, depending on the brand, NAPA wholesale is around what you paid. Retail is well over $200. So dont think you did bad. Get mine done, hopefully this weekend Ill take some pics as well. Thanks for information
Also You can make the tube spacer a little short as the rear of teh Alt has a bushing that moves. The front should be bolted solid first then rear bolt tighened up. That allows a little play.
When I say full retail I mean I paid what that particular shop would charge anyone. Which I dont do that much locally. And I used one long bolt through both bottom mounting holes. I would have had to use a piece of round stock and drill and tap it out. Or mount two small pieces of pipe and weld them on the same plane then through bolt each or weld nuts on to the ends of the pipe... Those options were way to much work. It was already a chore holding that pipe square to the to of the stock bracket and to the back. Right where I welded that pipe is a tappered angle that is not to conducive to clamping something square

F18hornetM

Oh yeah gotcha on holding that square. Did look good though. But you can still use one bolt and one piece of round stock/tubing. The rear bushing moves some, just tap it rearward flush on inside. Of course you already have on and looks great so no need. Just in case anybody else wants to make one. I most likely will do mine the same way you did yours. No need for the extra drilling and taping.

turbovr6jetta

Oh yeah gotcha on holding that square. Did look good though. But you can still use one bolt and one piece of round stock/tubing. The rear bushing moves some, just tap it rearward flush on inside. Of course you already have on and looks great so no need. Just in case anybody else wants to make one. I most likely will do mine the same way you did yours. No need for the extra drilling and taping.
Oh yea I'm sure that bushing sqeaked in a bit. After my first mounting idea failed (the drillpress pic and the bracket cutting pics) I let my craftsmanship diminish for a moment when I was cutting the pipe, with a sawzall. So by the time I squared the cut end it came out a bit short. Can't wait to see how yours turns out! I think everyone should do this even if they have a good working stocker. That way they can keep it around if they need to go back to the original set up for authentic purposes. If anyone wants to do this to their truck and has any concerns or needs any help shoot me a PM and I will do anything I can for you. It's hands down the most satisfying thing I've done to my truck. Not that I have done too much.

islandguydon

They are kinda like having a girlfriend, you think you did something right and they decide to bring something else up on you!

Yea, When you first get it she is Ms Ohio and you ride it all around every day, after some time she is demoted to Ms Cincy and you only ride it around town, then after some more time you park it in the garage and drive it 2-3 times a month/week if your lucky.

F18hornetM

It does seem impossible to cut pipe perfectly square. I have horizontal band saw, porta bands, chop saws etc. The only thing I have used that cut it very square is a cold saw. It uses a blade that looks like a regualar wood blade, but turns slower. Otherwise if I need it to fit very close, I cut a hair long and put on 12 disc sander. That gets it pretty close. Hoped to work on mine this weekend, just depends on alternator arriving. May have to Put old one back on, with charged up batteries for memorial day parade.

turbovr6jetta

Ugg. I got my air pack done.. Well for the most part.. The old style sure is a POS compaired to the new style. Ill post a few pics to keep everyone posted. Ill get some more up and a good story when I'm not so tired.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks